What's new

TI Le Canadien 6/8"

Don't know where to post this review, so please move this post to the appropriate section if need be.

I picked up this razor from Rasage Poulin to compare this TI Le Canadien to a TI Le Grelot. I understand that the Le Grelot was not made by TI, but since I feel that was a smart move by the company, I wanted to find out what their own straights were like. On first inspection, it is hefty, but does not carry the same weight through the blade like a Le Grelot. Although the tang reminds me of the a normal Le Grelot, the blade itself is completely different. The entire blade is very square with a notch on the heel. The bevel from spine to blade is much more angular than that of the Le Grelot. Because of this angular bevel they made, the Le Canadien is much lighter along the blade and has a balance point somewhere behind the heel. Weird feeling to tell you the truth.

I had not realized the razor came unhoned, so I sent it off to Ray-man for some work. This guy is an upstanding contributor! Great service and communication! Anyway, as soon as it came back, I took it to my face with a nice weekend full of facial hair. I was pleasantly suprised to find that the blade glided easily through hair WTG, ATG, and XTG. I got a little stickage on my face from the polished blade, but nothing I couldn't handle. The one thing to watch out for was the point on the blade's farthest edge. I did not get any nicks from it, but could see a small mistake could turn into a little more than a weeper! The comfort level was very pleasant and not overly "sharp," like I get with other razors. I'm not sure if it's the honing process, the blade, or a little of both, but I definitely enjoyed my shave. I must say, it's given me one of the better shaves to date!

The two blades are so different, it's like comparing apples and oranges. However, if I had to pick one, I'd have to go back to my Le Grelot. I just like that extra metal on the blade, and the feeling I get when it's on my face. Don't get me wrong though, the Le Canadien is a REALLY great shaver! It beats out all the other manufacturers I've tried, but just does not hold a candle to my trusty Grelots.

I have yet to test the Le Grelot I got back from Ray-man as well. I think that will confirm the results of this review, but I just couldn't wait to share. This blade was definitely shaveworthy!!!

I think that Le Grelot were probably the best non custom blade ever made. I love them. They are easy to hone and you can get an edge that is super sharp. I think that TI are good but I much prefer Le Grelot.

Last edited:
I have 2 Le Grelot 3/4 grind and a Le Canadien Luxury wheatfield. I agree the Le Grelot are super sharp and smooth shavers and I prefer them to the $300+ new TI carbonsong blade. Its a very nice shaver and beautiful to look at however Le Grelot feels more perfectly weighted, a handles better, and delivers a very very smooth shave.

That being said the new carbonsong steel is very nice and I prefer it to most of Dovo's I have.

I have one of these Le Canadians on my list of to own razors. Just gotta get a few others off the list first. Thanks for the short review, sounds like a great razor.

I shaved with the newly honed 3/4 hollow Le Grelot this evening. Hands down, the Le Grelots stole the show once again. Now I know why I search the BST forums looking for another......

I like the new Carbonsong TI's quite a lot but I prefer the Le Grelot's and the historical forgings of TI's. The new steel feels rather stiff during the shave, which isn't really a bad thing but just something different. I still prefer the Le Grelot to the newer models too.

Seems like everyone is in agreement about the le grelots and the new C135s. Glad I posted up the review for confirmation from fellow straight users!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
All that talking about Le Canadien and no pictures?? :sad:

I have the same one, cost me $148 Canadian. It was my first straight and still using it to this day.
proxy.php

When I save enough money I hope I can purchase the Silverwing Thiers Issard.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My Le Canadien:
Great nimble little shaver once I got the edge dialed in.
Was nearly shave ready when I got it, probably could have shaved with it, but took it to Norton 8k and naniwa 12k and now shaves great!
A great looker and performer...

Top Bottom