What's new

Bowl Latherers: How BIG or small is your Bowl

Not that hard of a question. I didn't really see too much out there. Just wondering if you prefer a big bowl, small bowl, mug, big scuttle, whatever. Do you use different bowls for different brushes, soaps, creams?

I personally like bigger bowls. I find that with some smaller ones its just not enough to keep lather in. In reference here is the bowl i am using now. It can easily fit the entire brush in and cover it head to toe in lather. I tried using a couple small bowls and mugs and just couldnt find that groove.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
When I used to bowl lather, the bowl was 3" diameter by 1" deep. That was the perfect size for me.

Currently I am into face lathering with soaps, so I just start in the Old Spice mug and then lather on my face. When I was using a separate bowl, which happened to be the same time I started using a DE, I was using a 5 5/8" ceramic bowl for creating my lather. I love how a large bowl creates lather with room for my hand and brush. I may go back to it, but I love my OS mug so much that face lathering has really become my shaving life right now.

I have a tupperware bowl, actually. Not very classy I know but I broke my scuttle AND needed a tub to hold my shave soap when traveling. I just haven't gone back. If I ever do get another scuttle, I'd like a wood bowl this time with lid.

I started with the Col. Conk apothecary mug which I thought was excellent until I got my large Becker scuttle. This thing is HUGE, but I have never made lather so easily as I can in this scuttle, it must be because my brush can move so freely in it, plus it keeps my lather so nice and warm.

I use a G5 scuttle. It's not big, but I like that ridge on the inside of the rim that keeps it from spilling all over.

I started with the Col. Conk apothecary mug which I thought was excellent until I got my large Becker scuttle. This thing is HUGE, but I have never made lather so easily as I can in this scuttle, it must be because my brush can move so freely in it, plus it keeps my lather so nice and warm.

I don't know you from Adam, but based on your avatar, I think I like you :001_cool:

I use a small stainless steel pet food bowl. Has a rubber ring around the bottom to keep it from sliding which is handy when resting on the sink after lathering.

I use a VdH green lather bowl ... it is just a tad undersized, as I keep knocking the side of the bowl with my brush handle. But it is cheap and convenient, takes up little space when not in use, and if I drop it and break it, its no great loss.

I use a cereal bowl and I guess that it is about 2" deep and 5" in diameter. I only use it when I lather with soap and that normally means that I am using a large brush, so the size works well for me.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I use a fantastic bowl purchased at IKEA for only € 0.69! It is a sturdy, big glass bowl that fits perfectly in my hand. Here are two pics.

I use a brown IKEA bowl that cost me €1,51:

proxy.php

Diameter: 14 cm
Height: 6 cm

When I travel, I use a stainless steel bowl, from IKEA also (€2,52):

proxy.php

Diameter: 12 cm
Height: 6 cm

I had been using latte mug and it was a little bit too deep. I was hitting my fingers and brush on the sides of the bowl. I bought a Dirty Bird 1.5 and am loving it so far. It's not as deep and it's wider so I'm not bouncing off the sides.

I also got a large Becker scuttle, and it really is LARGE. The lathering portion has got to be at least 5" wide and maybe 2-3" deep. It looks like a giant tea pot, and it takes up some counter space, but it does provide lots of room for the brush, like you say, and is nicely made. I'm happy with it.

Top Bottom