What's new

Question on what will "clean" this razor head on red tip . . .

This red tip has some "spotting" on the head that I can't seem to get rid of.

I have:

• Done the borax soak
  • scrubbed with: toothbrush/brass brush
  • done silver polish and brasso
  • 50 W ultrasonic
  • wool buffer with polishing compound

This is the really major flaw in the razor. I'd like to do what I can to make it look a bit better.

Although I'm not sure, I suspect that the plating is wearing off and that you're seeing the brass (I think that's what they are) core of the razor. If that's the case, I don't think any amount of scrubbing or polishing it is going to make it better. Let's see what others have to say, but to me it looks like replating it is the only way to "clean" the razor head.

Last edited:
Excellent. Thank you to the both of you.It is nice to see that "in-between" stage where it is starting I noticed it looking worse as I went. :)

It's like watching a carbon-fiber yacht start to delaminate before it finally breaches. Very instructive!

I would try something mild like jeweler rouge.
Brass doesn't usually turn black, but when you use a stripper on nickel it turns black.
Gillette used very thin nickel plating.
When I strip a nickel plated old type head it takes a hour in the solution.
When I have to strip one of my replated NEW heads it takes 3 to 4 hours in the stripping solution.

I would try something mild like jeweler rouge.
Brass doesn't usually turn black, but when you use a stripper on nickel it turns black.
Gillette used very thin nickel plating.
When I strip a nickel plated old type head it takes a hour in the solution.
When I have to strip one of my replated NEW heads it takes 3 to 4 hours in the stripping solution.

I also appreciate this advice from an Expert, Bob! I'll piuck up some jeweler's rouge and add it to my arsenal!

Top Bottom