What's new

For a newbie, it's all starting to come together

I bought my first DE Razor, a Muhle R 89 and have been using it, since about three weeks ago.

I have been lathering since the end of this past September.

My shaving at first...was not good. In fact I looked like Moe, or maybe Curly of the Three Stooges had done the job.

I had a lot of cuts, redness, etc.

I've used a number of different blades, some I like, some I don't. My favourite blade...Gillette 7 0'Clocks....green box.

The last week or so...my lather has been really improving...nice and thick whether I use Proraso Shaving Soap- green puck or the Body Shop...Macca Root cream...or Creamo Shaving Creme....I like them all.

My Omega Boar Bristle brush seems fine. Inexpensive...lathers up real well .

Questions:

• What differences will I notice if I use a good Badger bristle Brush ?
  • I've had much less nicks and cuts...only one today. Do you ever get to the point where there are no cuts, nicks ?
  • Any other advice for the ever improving new DE shaver ?
  • I know some have a number of different DE shavers, which they seem to alternate. Is this necessary or am I fine using my Muhle, day in, day out ? Looking at it's very robust construction, I'm not sure if I will ever wear it out ? Do DE Razors wear out, or do they just go on and on ?
  • How long do blades last ? I tossed my Gillette out today after 4 shaves. It may have lasted longer, but I don't know. How does one determine when a blade is finished ? I know it won't cut properly anymore...but I'm not even sure how to determine that ?

Last edited:
  • What differences will I notice if I use a good Badger bristle Brush ?
  • I've had much less nicks and cuts...only one today. Do you ever get to the point where there are no cuts, nicks ?
  • Any other advice for the ever improving new DE shaver ?
  • I know some have a number of different DE shavers, which they seem to alternate. Is this necessary or am I fine using my Muhle, day in, day out ? Looking at it's very robust construction, I'm not sure if I will ever wear it out ? Do DE Razors wear out, or do they just go on and on ?

From one noob to another...

Yes, you definitely get to the place where there are no nicks and cuts. I'm only 2 months in on my wetshaving journey and I have no more need for the styptic pencil. Just work on using a light touch... very little pressure on the razor. You can always do another pass, but you can't put that hunk of skin back in your face.

As far as getting new products/razors... my advice is use what you have, find out what is not working, and then read over this forum to find a product that will fix your problem. For example, I needed a razor that would better attack my tough beard and spots on my neck... I came here... told people the problem I was having and they suggested and open comb razor... I picked up and open comb razor and love it. If you just start acquiring a bunch of new stuff, you will probably get things that don't work well for you, and get frustrated and waste a lot of money.

Hope this helps.

Questions:

[*]What differences will I notice if I use a good Badger bristle Brush ?

Boar vs. Badger is a matter of personal preference. I have used both, and Badger is not necessarily superior to Boar. Badger is superior to some of the really low end prickly boar brushes that tend to shed constantly.

I have two Omega boar brushes myself, and despite owning two badger brushes as well, one of my Omega boars is usually my daily choice for a brush. Omega are good quality boar brushes.

[*]I've had much less nicks and cuts...only one today. Do you ever get to the point where there are no cuts, nicks ?

It varies from person to person but you should have your technique down pretty well after a couple of months, and nicks/cuts should be fairly infrequent.

[*]I know some have a number of different DE shavers, which they seem to alternate. Is this necessary or am I fine using my Muhle, day in, day out ? Looking at it's very robust construction, I'm not sure if I will ever wear it out ? Do DE Razors wear out, or do they just go on and on ?

A 3 piece razor like the Muhle R89 has very little that can go wrong with it, baring you dropping it onto the floor from a significant height. The Muhle is one of the best razors on the market today, and should definitely last you your entire lifetime.

There are DE razors all of 100 years old that are still going strong, and shaving as well as the day they left the factory. They don't really wear out.

Many people have more than one razor, because they like the thrill of trying new things. Different razors shave differently, and it can be fun to learn the ins, and outs of a new tool.

That said you could use your Muhle everyday, and get great shaves everyday. You would be hard pressed to find a razor on the market that is superior to it.

[*]How long do blades last ? I tossed my Gillette out today after 4 shaves. It may have lasted longer, but I don't know. How does one determine when a blade is finished ? I know it won't cut properly anymore...but I'm not even sure how to determine that ?

Blade life will vary for each user, depending on your beards individual characteristics. The average seems to be from 3-5 shaves.

A blade in need of replacement will fell different. You will notice it is less smooth, feels rougher, and provides more irritation than usual. If the blades pulls at the hair, rather than cleanly cutting it is past it's prime.

Hi,
I am a man of few words but I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. A badger may feel softer and may whip up your lather quicker. I use both depending on my mood. I have 3 omegas, they are a fine brush and will serve you well, but you might want to get a nice badger just to switch things up once in while(the Wee Scot is good deal in Best Badger).

2. Yes. Your day will come.

3. Try the hot towel method to soften your whiskers. I do not do this all the time, but when I do it makes a difference.

4. You will be fine using your Muhle day after day. I started with a Gillette SS when i was 21. I used almost daily until I got into straights at the age of 48. (before I got the SS it belonged to my grandfather for many years)

5. Toss your blades when they start to pull your whiskers. I used to get 5-7 shaves out of a blade.

Hope I was of some help.

Questions:

* What differences will I notice if I use a good Badger bristle Brush ?

Badger-hair shaving brushes are good because they retain water. This is useful because it means you don't have to keep soaking the brush to get water into your shaving-bowl for lathering up. Also, they feel all fuzzy and comfy and soft...Always a good thing.

* I've had much less nicks and cuts...only one today. Do you ever get to the point where there are no cuts, nicks ?

Yes. You will reach shaving zenith eventually.

* Any other advice for the ever improving new DE shaver ?

Take it slow and remember to clean your razor regularly. Soap-scum, dead skin and other...crap...can build up in the recesses of your razor surprisingly quickly. Give it a thorough clean and dry-off after each shave.

* I know some have a number of different DE shavers, which they seem to alternate. Is this necessary or am I fine using my Muhle, day in, day out ? Looking at it's very robust construction, I'm not sure if I will ever wear it out ? Do DE Razors wear out, or do they just go on and on ?

The majority of DE razors are 100% steel construction. It would take centuries of use to wear one out, I reckon.

* How long do blades last ? I tossed my Gillette out today after 4 shaves. It may have lasted longer, but I don't know. How does one determine when a blade is finished ? I know it won't cut properly anymore...but I'm not even sure how to determine that ?

Razor-blades last about a week. If you can find one on eBay, buy a double-edged razor-blade sharpener. These can be used to resharpen your DE razor-blades so that they will shave for months and months and MONTHS before they wear out. I have one and it works amazingly well. If you can't find one, apparently running the razor blade around the inside of a smooth, flat-sided drinking-glass will also sharpen it up and prolong a blade's useful life.

Badger-hair shaving brushes are good because they retain water. This is useful because it means you don't have to keep soaking the brush to get water into your shaving-bowl for lathering up. Also, they feel all fuzzy and comfy and soft...Always a good thing.

This point is often made in argument of the superiority of Badger to Boar. However, it's a point that is insignificant.

Both Boar, and Badger will hold far more water than is necessary to make a lather. Yes, Badger does hold more water than Boar but since you shake out most of the water from the brush before using it, it's a point that has ZERO bearing on the actual performance of the brush.

With both Badger and Boar, you will soak the brush for a few minutes, and then proceed to use your brush. Boar won't require you to actually re-soak the brush; it's used identical to any brush; need more water just dunk the tips into a vessel of water briefly.

Also, while Badger brushes can be super soft, a broken in boar brush is also super soft on your face. As I said in my first post, it's a matter of personal preference. Badger is not superior to Boar.

Top Bottom