What's new

First Time Blade?

What razor blade should I use for my first time ever shaving with a DE?

Merkur Super
Red Personna
Crystal
Derby Extra
Dorco ST300
Astra

Please leave your suggestions as these are the blades I have at the moment.

Cheers,

Sean

Well, not having been at this for too long myself I have found the Astras and Red Personnas to be my favourites so far.
I probably get a couple more shaves out of the Personnas though.
I'm sure others will have other ideas. Give 'em all a go, different blades suit different beards!

I would go with the Astra or the Red Personna. Both are smooth, forgiving blades. For me, anyway. As all things blade related, YMMV. Just go slow and enjoy the process.:biggrin1:

In add to the above, just throw out the Merk. blades. They get very little love around here and with good reason.

I'm a big fan of Personnas. Either the Crystal or the Red Pack are excellent choices because they're sharp enough and smooth enough while not slitting you if you slip or press too hard. With experience you'll be able to use the sharper blades out there.

I went from disposables to DE late last winter and have shaved 95% of the days since my first experience. And at this point I won't hesitate to try anything I fancy. Great fun!

Use a forgiving razor, any adjustable set on a low setting or a razor with a bar vs a slant or open comb. try various blades and work on your technique. We can all give you lots of advice but nothing beats practice and experience. We're all different and what works for me with over 40 years of wet shaving experience isn't necessarily going to work for someone starting out. Advice is cheap but experience is priceless. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Get a sample of different kinds people suggested and you cant go wrong. Just remember just because it worked for someone doesnt mean it will work for you. YMMV. Good luck on the quest for the one blade.

Top Bottom