What's new

I would be interested to know..............

how Gillette pitched the early 1950's aluminum black plastic handled SS. to the public. I doubt they went with the "this material saves us money" campaign.

Ahh ok, wasn't sure which Super Speed they were advertising. It would be interesting to find the advertisement through.

From Mr. Razor

proxy.php

how Gillette pitched the early 1950's aluminum black plastic handled SS. to the public. I doubt they went with the "this material saves us money" campaign.
They may not have advertised that it saved them money but I am sure they advertised that is was less expensive for the customer if it was, or that it was light weight space age materials

They may not have advertised that it saved them money but I am sure they advertised that is was less expensive for the customer if it was, or that it was light weight space age materials

Do we know what the price difference was? Any a old print advertising comparing the two?

Perhaps it was just a cheaper option for the consumer.

Is it an assumption that aluminum and plastic was cheaper in 1950? Metal was a lot more common than plastic things. As a youngster in the 50s, pretty much all my toys were either metal or wood. I would think that aluminum, at that stage of the game, wasn't yet considered by the average consumer as a "lesser, cheaper metal". I'm thinking particularly of aircraft. Public travel on planes was really limited compared to today.

An aside on plastic. Yes, we had bakelite and cellu...? and other materials like that in 1950, but for those familiar with the mid-1960s Dustin Hoffman movie "The Graduate", on the week "Benjamin" graduated from college, one of his dad's well-heeled buddies took Ben aside and offered this advice:

"Just one word, Benjamin. Plastics!"

This in a modern, up-to-date flick channeling the 1960s.

Is it an assumption that aluminum and plastic was cheaper in 1950? Metal was a lot more common than plastic things. As a youngster in the 50s, pretty much all my toys were either metal or wood. I would think that aluminum, at that stage of the game, wasn't yet considered by the average consumer as a "lesser, cheaper metal". I'm thinking particularly of aircraft. Public travel on planes was really limited compared to today.

An aside on plastic. Yes, we had bakelite and cellu...? and other materials like that in 1950, but for those familiar with the mid-1960s Dustin Hoffman movie "The Graduate", on the week "Benjamin" graduated from college, one of his dad's well-heeled buddies took Ben aside and offered this advice:

"Just one word, Benjamin. Plastics!"

This in a modern, up-to-date flick channeling the 1960s.

Agreed. How did Gillette market both at the same time? What differences did they use to market both? Price points etc. And why?

I understand the marketing between a blue tip vs. red tip, but I don't get this particular distinction.

Top Bottom