What's new

Question Regarding Merkur Progress

I am thinking about purchasing a Progress and was wondering if the modification to a Mergress makes that much difference in the way the razor actually performs. Is it a cosmetic thing or does the razor shave better? I can live with plastic dial. Thanks.

I think the modified handle gives the razor a little better balance but that may just be me. That metal knob definitely sets the razor off though so it's worth it I'm my opinion.

I've used both, and I've found the Mergress to be a slightly better shaver because of the weight balance.

However, the razor shaves brilliantly even without the metal knob. At the moment, I have an unmodified Progress, and I love the shaves even though the knob is ugly, and looks kludgy.

That being said, the only reason I'm using an unmodified Progress is because I have another that's being modified to my specs. Pics will be posted when I get that back.

I have found the Mergress to be the best razor I have ever used. First, the settings after the modification are standardized and accurate. Previously, a 2 setting on one Progress could be a 1 or 3 on another. Second, the balance is much improved.

I liked my Mergress so much I had an XL modified, also.

Maybe it's just me, but previously my Progress was my #3 razor behind the FB and slim. Now as a Mergress it is #1 (in fact, I have two Mergresses - one regular and one XL). I now get smooth and close shaves.

I have found the Mergress to be the best razor I have ever used. First, the settings after the modification are standardized and accurate. Previously, a 2 setting on one Progress could be a 1 or 3 on another. Second, the balance is much improved.

I liked my Mergress so much I had an XL modified, also.

Maybe it's just me, but previously my Progress was my #3 razor behind the FB and slim. Now as a Mergress it is #1 (in fact, I have two Mergresses - one regular and one XL). I now get smooth and close shaves.

I agree about the balance being better, but I have doubts about the 'standardization' being an issue if the OP wants just one Progress.

Different people use razors differently. I like the Progress because I can find my preferred blade gap, and then that's where I keep it. As long as I don't expect a 4 on my razor to correlate with a 4 on any other Progress, I'm golden. I can see it being an irritant if I had more than one Progress, but I don't think it's a big deal.

In my experience (and the way I use the razor), the Mergress was better than the Progress, but not significantly so. This, of course, could be entirely different for someone else. For my use, I'd question whether the performance difference between the two is worth the price difference.

Given that you can regularly buy a Progress here on BST for half the price of a Mergress, it may be to the OP's advantage to try an unmodified Progress first to see if it works for him.

As always, YMMV.

I agree about the balance being better, but I have doubts about the 'standardization' being an issue if the OP wants just one Progress.

Different people use razors differently. I like the Progress because I can find my preferred blade gap, and then that's where I keep it. As long as I don't expect a 4 on my razor to correlate with a 4 on any other Progress, I'm golden. I can see it being an irritant if I had more than one Progress, but I don't think it's a big deal.

In my experience (and the way I use the razor), the Mergress was better than the Progress, but not significantly so. This, of course, could be entirely different for someone else. For my use, I'd question whether the performance difference between the two is worth the price difference.

Given that you can regularly buy a Progress here on BST for half the price of a Mergress, it may be to the OP's advantage to try an unmodified Progress first to see if it works for him.

As always, YMMV.

My issue with my first Progress was that the blade exposure at a 1 setting was VERY aggressive and was too harsh for my first pass. Now I use a 2+ setting for my first pass without any problems. The 2+ setting on the Mergress is now less aggressive than the 1 on the old Progress

My issue with my first Progress was that the blade exposure at a 1 setting was VERY aggressive and was too harsh for my first pass. Now I use a 2+ setting for my first pass without any problems. The 2+ setting on the Mergress is now less aggressive than the 1 on the old Progress

Hmm....I can certainly see how that would be an issue. My apologies, I'd never heard of the Progress being this out of whack. However, given my experiences with the QC on modern Merkurs, I'm not surprised. :thumbdown

given my experiences with the QC on modern Merkurs, I'm not surprised. :thumbdown

I have a Progress and Slant on my list and this concerns me. I have ordered a 15C and 33C and both had issues with the top plate. The 33C's top plate was actually bad enough that it needed replacement. You'd think, or atleast hope they'd be completely ashamed of the shoddy craftsmanship. :huh:

Hmm....I can certainly see how that would be an issue. My apologies, I'd never heard of the Progress being this out of whack. However, given my experiences with the QC on modern Merkurs, I'm not surprised. :thumbdown

No problem.

I should have realized there was a problem with the settings because when I tightened it up it went way below the 1 setting. A friend who also has a Progress showed me his and he could close it all the way and his setting was slightly below 1. Now when I close it all the way and the setting is right at 1. :001_smile

Top Bottom