What's new

Wooden cased Gillettes

There was a period when Gillette made wooden cases for their best razors. The Richwood and Big Fellow appeared in the 2nd decade of the 20th century. Doubt we'll find such beauties these days. When the wood is cared for, it seems like it may last another 100 years.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This one is my newest addition to the collection. A fairly aggressive shaver with considerable heft.

proxy.php

Not sure about this razor model. Anyone know for sure? British made.

proxy.php

proxy.php

They look as good as new. I acknowledge those early owners who had the foresight to preserve their razors with such care. And the manufacturer for creating such a useful and impressive tool that survived the past century so well.

Beautiful razors. The last one looks like a New Improved ( Bostonian/ New Standard when packaged differently). The New Improved heads give me the best shaves of any razor that I've tried.
proxy.php

Link to Achim/ Mr. Razor

My dad just picked up a "big razor" in a wood box with Gillette carved inside. As he doesn't have a digital camera (and no internet anyway) I haven't been able to see it but I'm guessing it's a big fellow. He said the box is in spectacular condition as is the razor. Only other identification that he can notice anyways on the razor is a date of 1920 on the handle. I'm gonna be seeing it this weekend so I'm hopeful.....:blush:

Yes I agree about the 3rd razor being a New Improved. It is the 2nd razor I am trying to identify. I have some more photos of it that I'll try to post soon.

I look forward to seeing photos of the razor set your father purchased jlanger. Sounds like the wooden cased Big Fellow. Hope so.

And here are a few photos of the British razor that's in the 2nd Richwood case pictured above -- razor #2. Any suggestions for its model name/number folks?

I look forward to seeing photos of the razor set your father purchased jlanger. Sounds like the wooden cased Big Fellow. Hope so.

And here are a few photos of the British razor that's in the 2nd Richwood case pictured above -- razor #2. Any suggestions for its model name/number folks?

Wow Jake I have never seen that model before. Is it a two piece like an 88 or a three piece? It looks awesome. Where do you find these treasures?

No it's a regular 3-piece razor Chris, with no serial number on it -- at least not one that I can find. The silver plating is wearing thin so the underlying brass gives the razor a pinkish hue. Really pretty.

I picked up that razor at least a year ago -- possibly longer. I just hadn't gotten around to taking any photos until I got the Big Fellow in the wooden case. Now that I have a trio I feel ready to show them off.

I think the mysterious Richwood was a razor I found on Ebay -- back in the day when a deal was a deal and the rarities were more prevalent.

Looks a lot like a no. 77:

proxy.php

But that's a two piece I believe, maybe an older version of it? Looks like there may have been a 3 piece version in the past according to the advertising?

I'll try to get some close-up photos of the patent numbers and perhaps one of the experts among us will find the means to track down what this Gillette mystery razor is. We need to unmask this guy before All Hallowed Eve...

I'll try to get some close-up photos of the patent numbers and perhaps one of the experts among us will find the means to track down what this Gillette mystery razor is. We need to unmask this guy before All Hallowed Eve...

What I´ve seen on your pictures, it´s the same Patent No. like on the #77, #88 or 2-piece Belmont: Brit.Pat.Nos-352975-6-7-363892

Last edited:
I have that razor you are trying to identify in gold plating. It´s in the same wooden case and the outer shipper is marked with Richwood Gold. First I thought it was a mismatch but now I think it´s original after I´ve seen yours.

Whydert, can you post some photos of your set? I'd love to see that razor and collection in gold. I had not seen any wooden cased razors in gold plating.

Thanks Whydert. Very nice set there. Do you have other gold-plated wooden cased Gillettes? What a beautiful model. Any idea its age? And can I assume the pat # is the same as what Achim posted above -- and that it's British?

And you are correct Achim -- my razor does have the same patent # you wrote above. Interesting...

Thanks Whydert. Very nice set there. Do you have other gold-plated wooden cased Gillettes? What a beautiful model. Any idea its age? And can I assume the pat # is the same as what Achim posted above -- and that it's British?

And you are correct Achim -- my razor does have the same patent # you wrote above. Interesting...

Hi Jake,

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=171768 here you can see another gold razor in wooden case.
As for the other questions, it's made in England and with same pat. #

Beautiful razors. The last one looks like a New Improved ( Bostonian/ New Standard when packaged differently). The New Improved heads give me the best shaves of any razor that I've tried.
proxy.php

Link to Achim/ Mr. Razor

I have this razor, with the blade holder and the Richwood box. Just above the "screw" part on the bottom of the handle, is stamped PAT. JAN 13, 1920.

But my razor is rather tarnished. What do you suggest I use to clean and polish this beauty. I don't think the boiling/scrubbing bubbles routine is called for here!

Top Bottom