What's new

Moisturizing ASB's

Can anyone recommend an ASB that is very moisturizing? I love my menthol stuff, but can only see using it a few times once the weather turns cold. Anyway-scent really isn't that big of a deal (nothing too floral though), just looking for something that has excellent moisturizing properties.

You may try:

1. Weleda;
2. Penhaligons (very good quality by the way, albeit pricey);
3. Speick after shave intensive repair creme (ok, not a balm, thus very thick and strong);
4. If you desire something even cheaper with an overall pretty good balance of ingredients but strong in moisturizing, you may want to try the Nivea Sensitive after shave cream.

And fully agree on the L'Occitanne as per above post.

I really like the Nivea Sensitive AS Balm and it's only about $5-6. Over the weekend I tried the Castle Forbes Lime AS Balm for the first time, but wasn't impressed. Maybe I didn't use enough, but it's soooo expensive I didn't want to waste it. It didn't help when I asked my wife how she liked it and she said she couldn't smell it.

Another big supporter of Nivea Sensitive ASB. It's inexpensive and a great moisturizer. Also, the light smell allows pairing with almost any shave cream/soap and cologne.

-L'Oreal MAX asb
-Real Shaving Company ASB
- Proraso modern AS cream in a tube

A little bit less moisturizing, but still moisturizing:
-Nivea Senitive ASB
-Proraso Liquid ASB

Thanks for all the info, I've tried the Nivea before-it was OK but didn't blow me away. I also have tried the Proraso ASB and really liked that, so that might be an option but I'm also interested in the Proraso Pre/Post. Not quite sure which would work better though. I really like the Speick SC, so the ASB might be worth getting also.

I also have the Proraso Pre/Post. It is very moisturizing, but has that signature Proraso cooling effect. It's a great product, but not my favorite for cold Denver mornings.

I recommend Truefitt & Hill ASB. I have the non fragranced one which I find really good, I can't comment on the fragranced ones.

I also use Proraso Pre/Post both before and after and recommend this as well; probably cheaper than T&H.

My final recommendation is Santa Maria Novella Pre/Post shave cream. It is superb. If I were restricted to one brand it would be the SMN!

I have tried several balms (Nivea, Truefitt and Hill, DR Harris, Proraso, Musgo Real, Realm) and the best performance, hands down, was the Pre de Provence ASB. Most balms, including PdP, will moisturize your skin nicely, but PdP is definitely the most soothing.

The scent is fresh and soapy. Some might find it a tiny bit floral, but it is very faint and fades quickly. I'll save my favorite balm scents for another time, but I doubt anybody would find PdP unpleasant-smelling. I like it.

Also, I haven't tried Speick's ASB, but I have read from reviews that the scent is not very similar to the aftershave. I would research it closely before shelling out for it.

I highly recommend the C.O. Bigelow #1200 ASB. It has very good moisturizing and soothing soothing properties without leaving your skin feeling greasy.

Bath and Body Works does not seem to sell it anymore, but you can still get it at the CO Bigelow website. It's worth every penny of the $15 price.

I really like the Musgo Real splash. It's moisturizing enough that I can only use it in winter, and I really like the smell as well. Also, the C.O. Bigelow balms from Bath and Body Works moisturize my skin well, and they come in a variety of scents.

I suffer quite badly from dry skin, especially as its just got a whole lot colder over here!

I much prefer a splash of aftershave (seems to be Brut at the moment) and a liberal application of cheapo drugstore moisturiser. Seems to be much kinder to my face than an ASB.

Thanks again for all the recommendations, I think I'm going to try the Pre de Provence ASB and also order the Truefitt & Hill sampler since I'm not familiar with any of their scents. Might also have to check out the local Bath & Body Works and check out what they have also. Just when I thought I was done with shaving purchases for the year too :blushing:

I have very dry skin and I've found a few ASBs that I like that really help.

Speick ASB
Burt's Bees ASB
Saint Charles Shave Avocado Oil ASB

Top Bottom