What's new

What pastes do I need?

I have a question about pastes and would appreciate your help.

What level of paste (micron) size is good to go up to for a pasted strop? From what I've read a lot of people use 0.5 micron. Is going to 0.25 or 0.1 going to be too sharp? I plan on getting a hone: maybe 8 to 10k, or a barber hone to maintain the edge. What would I need for pastes to finish the edge after the hone?

Thanks

Going from 8k to CrOx will give you a very nice edge that you will be happy with. Finishing an edge finer than 0.5 is not very noticable on my face while shaving. IMHO going finer than 0.5 CrOx is not better it just gives you bragging rights:thumbup:

Personally, I use a 16K stone and finish with 0.5 CrOx.

In my opinion, about any grit size will work. If there is too much grit size distance between the leather strop and the last hone or strop before the leather strop, it still works. It just means you have to strop longer.

I am a supporter of fine grits though, using 0.3 micron chromium oxide and 0.1 micron ferrous oxide. On what basis do I support use of these finer grits? Laziness! If I insert the 0.1 micron ferrous oxide right before the leather strop, it mainly means that I don't have to strop so long.

I don't believe I get a better edge, though, than someone who goes from 0.5 micron chromium oxide to leather. And, truthfully, it doesn't save all that much time.

:001_smile But, I still know I am right! :001_smile

Legion

Staff member
I use .5 CrO and I really like the edge. I use it on a balsa bench strop though. Less chance of rolling the edge.

I like the CrO2 that I got from Larry. It leaves a very smooth edge. I don't know whether he send me .3 or .5 though...

Depending on the Barbers hone you may need none at all. I have a Barbers I purchased on the BST a year or so ago and at first, that and a simple strop are all I used to touch up.

I subsequently purchased CroOx and an additional "beater" strop just for S&Gs...not because I needed one.

Top Bottom