What's new

Unique: Red Cross, Ever-Ready SE razor

Here is my latest acquisition. A Gift of the American Red Cross razor set with a 1914 style "lift here" Ever-Ready SE razor. Here are the pics, I have not cleaned it up yet. Any advice for cleaning the case? Anyone see one like this before? I've seen Gillette Tech's in a cardboard box with the "gift of the ARC" stamped on it, but nothing like this before.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

It even has the name of the original ? owner on it. (J. F. (or E.) O'Brien
full

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a huge score. It is truly a slice of history. You have walked out of a time tunnel with this one. It is a very nice shaver. The problem with cleaning the case in "heavy duty" way, is that you will wash out the "monogram". That is a part of its history. If you want to erase it, that must be your decision and no one should judge you harshly for it. If you want to clean the case, I would begin with a nice soak in very warm water and woolite, the gentlest of detergents. Hand agitate, and let it soak for a couple of hours, then give it several fresh water rinses. It should clean up nicely and the monogram should remain.

I wouldn't touch the case. Keep it just as it is. Clean and sanitize the razor if you are going to use it but leave the case and enjoy the history of it.

If you want to clean the case, I would begin with a nice soak in very warm water and woolite, the gentlest of detergents. Hand agitate, and let it soak for a couple of hours, then give it several fresh water rinses. It should clean up nicely and the monogram should remain.

Thanks for the advice, I'll go pick up some woolite.

I wouldn't touch the case. Keep it just as it is. Clean and sanitize the razor if you are going to use it but leave the case and enjoy the history of it.

I would leave it alone, but the problem it there is a bunch of rust in the fabric that came off the blade holders. I want to get that cleaned before they get put back.

I would leave it alone, but the problem it there is a bunch of rust in the fabric that came off the blade holders. I want to get that cleaned before they get put back.

Hard to tell from the pix but is the writing or printing turning brown? I know some early inks were iron based. Not sure when that changed. If the ink is iron based anything that removes the rust might remove the ink as well.

Have you thought about just taking it to a local dry cleaner? Seems like something right up their alley.

I would be hesitant with letting it out of my hands, and would try and spot clean it myself.

The writing is priceless and I would hate to see it damaged.

Great score Vez.

Thanks all, I'll just try to spot clean it myself and see what I can do for it. It was all closed up when I found it, I expected a military set with a Gillette old type in it. I was shocked to see a single edge in there! Didn't know such a beast existed.

Top Bottom