What's new

Gillette Guard News

The first P&G article makes it sound like we are all cavemen shaving with our DE razors. If they only knew...that 100 year old technology is still one of the best around!

Quote from article:
"Even though we are the market leader in wet shaving, there are more than one billion men around the world who are not shaving with Gillette. Most of these men live in emerging markets like India and they shave with double-edge razors, technology King C. Gillette invented more than 100 years ago. These consumers have not been able to afford more advanced technology – even though shaving is very much an important part of this consumer's life."

The first P&G article makes it sound like we are all cavemen shaving with our DE razors. If they only knew...that 100 year old technology is still one of the best around!

My heart is with you, but my head is with P&G on this one. For the guy with no running water, no money for frivolous shave dens and no interest in shaving as a hobby, a cheap single blade, pivoting head open comb disposable makes a lot of sense.

IIRC, another poster with more knowledge of the Indian market said that the Guard is still going to be more expensive than the DE route, so necessity may keep some tied to the DE razors they've been using, but I expect the Guard will convince many to switch.

Great post by the OP, even if the implications for DE blade availibilty in the future aren't helped by the introduction of the Guard.

I agree with you completely...I can't imagine having to shave with a de in those conditions, the functionality and safety factor here is the primary concern and to that fact I think Gillette did their homework.

It just makes me laugh on how they position themselves as the saviors of men's faces the world over and if you are not using their latest product you don't know what's good for you.

Only read the first article, but this is what I was thinking while I was reading it.
Did it occur to ne1 else or is it just me but the way this is written it seems like more of a PR article for American or maybe European consumption? I doubt if it was written for the native audience in India who probably arent researching the newest cheapest razors to come to market. Maybe Im just being extra cynical this morning, but Gillette is only trying if anything to get in on the bottom floor so to speak of what will soon be a growing and prosperous economy. But the article seems to be geared more towards selling the american public on the idea then selling razors.

Last edited:
Just picked up a bunch of these. Interested in how they perform. Might be a good travel option, or to put in the office dopp.
-- Chet

"16 razor (with 16 blades) plus 32 Extra Blades"

Do these have a replaceable blade cartridge?

I believe so. Around 0:04 the ad shows the blade being put on the handle.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uffvu0aztAA[/YOUTUBE]

S

Sydney Guy

Only read the first article, but this is what I was thinking while I was reading it.
Did it occur to ne1 else or is it just me but the way this is written it seems like more of a PR article for American or maybe European consumption? I doubt if it was written for the native audience in India who probably arent researching the newest cheapest razors to come to market. Maybe Im just being extra cynical this morning, but Gillette is only trying if anything to get in on the bottom floor so to speak of what will soon be a growing and prosperous economy. But the article seems to be geared more towards selling the american public on the idea then selling razors.

These articles read like PR pieces because the journalists usually lift large chunks word-for-word from the company's press release. The press releases aren't aimed at the consumer, Indian or otherwise, but at the stock market.

I have some of these on the way from India. I'll be sure to leave my impressions after I get a few days with them.
-- Chet

Mine came in today, so I was just curious. Took it for a quick first spin. First impression: as mild as a Feather ASR..., alas. Did a good job on the back of my neck tho :laugh: Will try it some more to see if it gets any better.

Mine came in today, so I was just curious. Took it for a quick first spin. First impression: as mild as a Feather ASR..., alas. Did a good job on the back of my neck tho :laugh: Will try it some more to see if it gets any better.

This morning I went thru the normal routine (shower, wash beard with shampoo bar, leave face wet, put shave oil on, leave face wet, apply shave stick, super lather and do a 2 pass shave - wtg and gtx). Gave a passable result. For my beard it is a bit mild, but then most razors are ;). But it shaves very well. The long handle makes it easy to steer it over the face. The oc with an open back side, makes it easy to rinse. It shaves as easy as a cart or injector. Nice travel razor or intro into wet shaving.

it's really designed for people shaving under precarious conditions where a DE is risky. prep has little to do with this razor's target audience, running water isn't even a given.
it looks impressive for what it's trying to do, just deciding whether to order one or not just for the hell of it

I have some of these on the way from India. I'll be sure to leave my impressions after I get a few days with them.
-- Chet

I just ordered a four pack myself (four razors and eight refills). If they work as claimed, these will come in handy camping (no, I will not get rid of the DE razor anytime soon). The guy's write-up says they are made for people that shave with a cup of water rather than running water as we do here in the West. Therefore these should work well when out in the woods. In the past, I used a disposable Bic sensitive for that purpose. I will probably break down and try one package out so I can report back, however.

Top Bottom