Thread: Wooden Handled Brushes -- Any Special Care?

Default Wooden Handled Brushes -- Any Special Care?

I purchased a great brush from Hal, the SMF I, which features a Cocobola handle, Do I need to take any special precautions when using and then letting dry a wooden handled brush?

On another note, this brush is fantastic, Joel, you and Berndt did a great job with this one.
    Last edited by TimmyBoston; 04-09-2007 at 05:45 PM.
    Tim

HELP SUPPORT B&B

And malt does more than Milton can
    To justify God's ways to man.
    -A.E. Housman

Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

Agreed. I also bought my SMF 1 brush from a forum member, and he also offered a stand to hang it/store it upside down. The SMF 1 brush is the only one that I store upside down on a stand -- the rest of my brushes merely rest on their base, right-side up... no stand.

The wooden handle was my only concern, which is why I store the SMF 1 in a stand. But if I believe my high school physics classes, the tensile strength of water means that the stand isn't necessary, given that one gives a gentle squeeze and shake of the brush after every use... but you can never be too careful.
    --Jason

A wood handled brush is somewhat more delicate than a plastic handled brush. For example, wood is softer than plastic, and if you drop the brush off the counter, the effects would be more likely to be visible.

What it comes down to is if you want it to always look pristine, treat it with kid gloves. My own opinion is to go ahead and use the brush however you normally use a brush, and have it wear the war wounds proudly.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    A wood handled brush is somewhat more delicate than a plastic handled brush. For example, wood is softer than plastic, and if you drop the brush off the counter, the effects would be more likely to be visible.

What it comes down to is if you want it to always look pristine, treat it with kid gloves. My own opinion is to go ahead and use the brush however you normally use a brush, and have it wear the war wounds proudly.
    Can agree with you more then this

I was primarily worried about water damage to the wood. I didn't know if this wood was treated or anything like that. The night after I use my brush I store in upside down in a stand to dry then I store is right side up sitting on it's base until the next use. I wanted to know if this was enough to care for an exotic wood handle. I really, really like this brush and I don't want to ruin it from my own ignorance of proper procedure.
    Tim

HELP SUPPORT B&B

And malt does more than Milton can
    To justify God's ways to man.
    -A.E. Housman

Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

I guess this should be enough to keep two wood in shape.
    If you want a bit of extra care, try some oil, I use Balistol for wooden handles and stuff.
    After 2 or 3 uses the wood should be waterresistant for the next months or even years.

greetings
    Joe
    The world would be a much nicer place if people only used guns on themselves [I]JTHM[/I] :wink:
    [CENTER]---------------------------------------------------------[/CENTER]
    My stuff:
    [B]Straights:[/B] 8/8" Zwilling Friodur; 7/8" Wacker (1001)
    [B]DEs:[/B] Merkur 37c (slant bar)

They usually recommend an oil treatment for the wood every few months to prevent the wood from drying out. The same goes for straight razor scales made from not only wood but also horn or ivory.