What's new

Feather... a true story in YMMV

so today i decide to load up the feather in my sampler pack and give it a go in my fat handle tech

after all the praise and scary stories about the sharpness of these blades and the almost legendary status of the feather/tech combo i was expecting something a bit more... more

it cut my stubble... but no better than a wal-mart wilkinson

i'll give it one more shave in the tech then it's going in the NEW

TBH I didn't find them to be any better than the Dorco or IP that I normally use. After 3 passes I end up with same quality shave I'd have got with cheaper blades. So in conclusion, Feathers are a good blade, but IMHO they are not worth the extra cost.

tbh i didn't find them to be any better than the dorco or ip that i normally use. After 3 passes i end up with same quality shave i'd have got with cheaper blades. So in conclusion, feathers are a good blade, but imho they are not worth the extra cost.

+1!

Of all the different blades I've tried in the different razors I own, the one blade that my chubby little cheeks do not like is Feathers. The darn things chew me up every single time. Used one a long time ago in a Merkur and it left me battered and bloody. Then just recently I decided to give them another try after reading about the possible demise of my beloved Iridiums. They were used in a DE87, a no-notch early SuperSpeed and a Futur. Needless to say I am presently healing from that experiment. No more Feathers for me, you guys can have 'em.

Feathers are way sharp, but with a modified technique they perform well for me. YMMV. A Shark SS in my Feather AS will let me zip through a four pass shave with no fear of irritation. A Feather in the same razor means slow down, pay close attention to angle and pressure, or else. I get as good or better shave in two passes with a Feather. Be that as it may, Sharks are cheaper and more forgiving, and I prefer them. Who wants to walk a tightrope?

It may seem counter-intuitive, but I like a Feather to a Shark in my Futur set at 3.5. I think the Futur lends itself to a more deliberate technique.

Whenever I read how people find they love, loath, or are indifferent to the feathers, I'm always reminded of how glad I am that so many retailers sell sample packs.

If/when I do a newbie PIF (got a couple of basic razors I need to clean up and check they're ready to go), I've got a few brands and a spare blade bin that will get thrown in for just this reason.

Ultimately, for any soap, blade or razor, YMMV - but that has always been the fun part for me...

I haven't found another blade that gives me as close a shave as a Feather. If they are not shaving you any closer than a Shark, try a more aggressive razor. If they are cutting you, try a milder razor. @ .30 ea, they are not all that expensive.

My limited experience is that in my Futur set at 2 I can tell that I have a feather loaded and I get a clean shave.

In my DE89 I get the odd weeper and will be trying other blade combos.
I'm not sure if this is my inexperience.

The Derby that is about to be loaded will give me an indication I guess

I got my first shave with a feather blade this evening. First blade I have tried that I truly felt like I did not have to put any pressure on the razor to get a nice, close shave.

Good blade for me.

skipped a couple days and by some weird japanese magic i think my blade got sharper sitting in the razor

no changes in prep or technique... just an extra day of growth vs the previous shave (2 skipped days vs 1)

You have to use what works best for you. Personally I really like Feathers. The first shave with a new blade tends to be a little aggressive for me. The second through the sixth shave is great. By weeks end, the blade is starting to tug for me, time to change blades. I've tried other brands and Feathers tend to work best for me. For the next person, it could be a totally different story. Like my daughter says: "whatever floats your cherios".

I kept hearing about the Featherings cutting everyone and I'm about to order a sampler with them in it.

Advised against?

Nope, I don't think you should avoid trying them out just based on some bad experiences. Just be careful when you use them and see for yourself if you like them or not. :thumbup1:

Nope, I don't think you should avoid trying them out just based on some bad experiences. Just be careful when you use them and see for yourself if you like them or not. :thumbup1:

I use a wide variety of blades. Ifind that different blades work better in different razors.

For me, featherh work great in my krona, my 40's aristocrat, and my slant. Other razors there is no need for me.

Very much a case of ymmv

If they are cutting you, try a milder razor. @ .30 ea, they are not all that expensive.

Why would I want to change any of my razors to accommodate a particular brand of blade? Razor handles are relatively expensive, blades are relatively cheap, it makes more sense to change the blade to match the razor. Or maybe I should change my skin for a tougher variety?

On the subject of expense, Feathers are more than double the price of my favourite blade, yet they don't give a shave that is twice as good. They are a good blade, they just don't represent good value for money. Feathers seem to be worn like designer label clothing.

I find they work very well. I normally use a Futur or Progress, but right now I am experimenting with Feathers in a Tech, just to see how the razor will do with a really sharp blade. No cuts or irritation, but it does not seem quite as close as with the Futur. (I am thinking about buying a Feather SS, and I wanted to try a milder razor again)

I kept hearing about the Featherings cutting everyone and I'm about to order a sampler with them in it.

Advised against?

I used feathers after one week of DE shaving and they aren't the fearsome blades in my opinion that some make them out to be. Like any blade, you need to use no pressure and they'll treat you fine.

David

Top Bottom