What's new

Does anyone NOT go ATG while shaving? Do you find hair grows faster if you ATG Shave?

Hey guys,

So I only got my Merkur Classic a couple days ago and I haven't been able to try it as i've been busy. And I wanted to wait until the weekend to try the DE as I didn't want my face cut up for the weekday...

Anyways, so I just lathered up and used a regular cartridge to shave..
Now, with my cartidge i've never gone ATG. I've only ever gone with the grain, so that means only down my face. And the shave was adequate for me...

Anyways, yesterday, I used my cartidge and did about 3 passes to mimic what I was going to do with my new DE system.
1) with the grain
2) diagonal
3) against the grain

(the shave was really close doing 3 passes like the above mentioned)

The problem, I woke up this morning and my beard felt really prickly. This never used to happen the day after I shave (with the grain). And I usually shave every two-three days. (My bear/moustache is not thick at all). You can't really see the hairs, but now I can feel them when I touch my face. Like they are really noticeable...

So, is my moustache/beard prickly because I shaved against the grain?
And I heard that if you shave ATG you will get ingrown hairs? is that true?

Last edited:
I have actually found that doing 3 passes consisting of WTG, XTG, and then XTG from the opposite direction gives the exact same shave as if I had done an ATG with it and only needs a few touch ups at the end where it is impossible to shave certain areas without ATG

Hair can sometimes grow at inconsistent rates so it may just grows faster on some days than others. Maybe the new shaving routine caused it to adapt and grow faster as a reaction. Really crappy explanation, but that's all I can think of for what caused that.

I can count on one hand the number on ingrown hairs I have had in the 8 years I have been shaving with carts and the one month I have been DE shaving. It is a combination of technique and genetics. Some people are more prone to getting ingrowns than others with the same technique, but with proper pre and post shave everyone can prevent them.

Last edited:
Maybe the new shaving routine caused it to adapt and grow faster as a reaction. Really crappy explanation, but that's all I can think of for what caused that.

I can count on one hand the number on ingrown hairs I have had in the 8 years I have been shaving with carts and the one month I have been DE shaving. It is a combination of technique and genetics. Some people are more prone to getting ingrowns than others with the same technique, but with proper pre and post shave everyone can prevent them.

You know what, that could actually be an explanation. I guess I won't know until I keep up the shaving routine.

Thanks for your input on the in grown hairs as well.
That's what i've heard actually. So it'll be a good experience for me.

Back when I used a disposable, my girlfriend use to complain about my rough face right after I shaved when the hair was at its shortest (for a disposable), but the next day it was softer with a little growth. I think it is just the fact that it is much shorter than you are used to and thus the hairs are far more rigid.
As for ingrown hairs, yes some people are more prone to them, but technique and products can prevent that. I heard that applying too much pressure can cause them.
Happy Shaving.

Some people have speculated that changing their shaving technique could be cutting the whiskers at a different angle -- instead of lopping off the whisker at a 90 degree angle, they're cutting it at, oh, 70 degrees, and even though the stubble is the same length, it's more pointed and feels "stubblier".

I don't know how you could tell if that's actually happening but it's another possibility to consider.

Some people have speculated that changing their shaving technique could be cutting the whiskers at a different angle -- instead of lopping off the whisker at a 90 degree angle, they're cutting it at, oh, 70 degrees, and even though the stubble is the same length, it's more pointed and feels "stubblier".

I don't know how you could tell if that's actually happening but it's another possibility to consider.

I've considered this as well. It seems that my whiskers are rougher/sharper the next day since I started DE shaving.

If you've never shaved ATG with a cart before, you're bound to notice a difference in stubble feel - you're cutting the hair a different way.

Also, a DE cuts differently. When I first started my stubble felt pricklier growing back. That's because the hair is cut differently - cut as opposed to ripped.

I really doubt changing shaving methods will make stubble adapt to anything. Different tools, different results and feel.

The main lesson I have learned on these forums is that everyone has to find what works best for them. I have only been DE shaving for about 3 weeks. However, I have learned I get the best shave by using 2 full passes WTG, XTG. Followed by some J hooking under the jaw line where my toughest spots are. I get a DFS using this technique. If I try doing an ATG pass the blood letting and razor burn begins. I'm anxious to try setting my adjustable to a more aggressive setting but not brave enough to try it yet.

I do a 4 pass shave with my last ATG. If I use a cartridge as when I am traveling my beard grows much faster. With DE shaving AND an ATG pass, my face is smoother for a longer period of time.

If you the shave you want in two passes, great; if it takes more, it takes more. Don't worry about the number of passes you make as long as you get a shave that is acceptable to you and doesn't cause irritation, razor burn, or ingrown hairs. If you don't want to go ATG, don't; your face may actually thank you for it. When I started using an SE razor, I found that the shape of the razor head prevented me from going ATG in certain spots, so I just went XTG again in the other direction. This worked great and prevented me from turning my face into hamburger.

On a related note, it also doesn't matter if you use the lowest or the highest setting on an adjustable, because the goal is still a close, irritation-free shave. There aren't any medals or macho points awarded for using the most aggressive settings, so don't use them if you don't need to.

I have had 9 good months of WTG and XTG and I was achieving pretty good shaves.

Last weekend I tried some ATG passes and I really did not get on well with them and my skin is only slowly recovering. Thankfully I was on holiday so I did not have to go into work with irritated skin.

That uncomfortable stubbly feeling you're experiencing is ithe hairs growing back through rritation and razor burn on your skin. It'll go away once you dial in your technique (maybe drop the ATG passes until you've been at this for a month or so.)

If you the shave you want in two passes, great; if it takes more, it takes more. Don't worry about the number of passes you make as long as you get a shave that is acceptable to you and doesn't cause irritation, razor burn, or ingrown hairs. If you don't want to go ATG, don't; your face may actually thank you for it. When I started using an SE razor, I found that the shape of the razor head prevented me from going ATG in certain spots, so I just went XTG again in the other direction. This worked great and prevented me from turning my face into hamburger.

On a related note, it also doesn't matter if you use the lowest or the highest setting on an adjustable, because the goal is still a close, irritation-free shave. There aren't any medals or macho points awarded for using the most aggressive settings, so don't use them if you don't need to.

This. So long as you aren't shaving with a Gillette Daisy, no man-points are deducted for type of razor or direction of shaving.

That uncomfortable stubbly feeling you're experiencing is ithe hairs growing back through rritation and razor burn on your skin. It'll go away once you dial in your technique (maybe drop the ATG passes until you've been at this for a month or so.)

yeah, i think i'm going to drop the ATG pass.

I used the DE for the first time yesterday and I got a really nice shave with some nicks, but now my hair seems to have grown back pretty quick...

I wonder if this is because with the DE i'm getting a closer shave? so it's growing back quicker now?

I used the DE for the first time yesterday and I got a really nice shave with some nicks, but now my hair seems to have grown back pretty quick...

I wonder if this is because with the DE i'm getting a closer shave? so it's growing back quicker now?

Could also be a placebo effect, where you are following your beard growth closer and thus it seems like weird things are happening. When in fact nothing out of the ordinary is happening, you are just more perceptive when it comes to shaving.

It's definitely not growing back faster. Odds are you're just noticing it more now.

I can't get a good shave without an ATG pass. I even did ATG passes with cartidges, just how my beard is. I find my stubble is less coarse the next day after a DE shave but if I skip a day of shaving (which is almost never) my 2 day growth is pretty prickly in the morning but not much different than the next day on a cartridge shave. The DE shave for me is closer and lasts longer.

Top Bottom