What's new

how long to get safety razor shaving?

shave in the shower. get a very good to great shave every morning from a disposable razor, beehive soap and badger brush. takes about 5 minutes or less.

have been trying with my dad's safety razor and some new blades. lots of trying. takes forever and I get a lousy shave.

so... the question: how long does this take to "get it?" what I'm looking for is to get as good a shave with this DE razor as I get from an elcheapo Personna Speed 3 from Wally World.

I know some guys take their time shaving, do a whole work up and really enjoy and get a great shave from a safety razor. I tried that and just don't have the time for it. that's just not for me. I need this Gilette DE with Crystal blades in it to integrate into the quick shower shave routine that does work for me.

Ideas on that?

Its been about a year and a half that i DE shave and it took me about a year before being able to get constant BBS without irritation.
Im sure it depends on people but that's what it took me.
Before that i was only getting sub-par shaves.

I was getting good shaves in the first month, and consistantly within two months. Then I tried a Feather blade and it was like I took a Weed Eater to my face. For me it was a thing of finding the right blade/razor combo for my face at first, now I can get the same results from any of my razors with anything but a Feather or a Derby blade.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'm on my first week and I am getting pretty good shaves mostly bbs on easy to shave areas and good enough elsewhere. Only thing is I am paying for the closeness in irritation and cuts lol as my techniques is far from optimal. Time wise I'm am guessing 15 mins for wtg, atg and touch ups.

Most disposables have a wide head that's easy to set flat against your face and get the right blade angle. With a DE, you have to find that angle yourself. Trying to do that fast and in the shower isn't so easy, and its even harder without a mirror.

You might want to try an injector, since it has something like a wide head to help get the angle right.

I'm a little over a month in and I'm getting consistantly good shaves. Not BBS every time, but I also don't usually try for that except once a week. I believe that there are still plenty more improvements to come in my shaving future. My last one was about a week ago when I realized my lather was too dry. Much less irritation now.

If you value speed that much, DEs probably aren't for you.
You can tighten up your routine considerably, but a multipass shave is always going to take longer than a single pass shave with a cartridge.

"Then I tried a Feather blade and it was like I took a Weed Eater to my face."

Amen brother! I had the same ill effects using the feather in the Muhle R89. Then I tried that ninja blade in a fat handle Tech and a '65 SS flair tip. What a difference. Much better but I still have to be on my game or else.

I picked up DE shaving very quickly (week or so) but I've been wet shaving w/a cartridge for the past couple 30 years or so. I tried a blade sampler pack and only got about halfway through it when I settled on the Red Personna's. I can use that blade in any razor and get a better shave than the cartridges. It typically takes about 10 minutes for me to get a great shave. I find that if I have extra time and I begin to get a bit obsessive about the trouble spots I do more harm than good.

If you value speed that much, DEs probably aren't for you.
You can tighten up your routine considerably, but a multipass shave is always going to take longer than a single pass shave with a cartridge.

+1

I spent years resenting the time it took to shave in the morning. Now, I take the time--for ME--to actually enjoy the experience. It's not a race, but a goal or aspiration. A quick shave it's not...

Codfish

It took my about three months before I got really confident. I take my time because I want to.

According to this ad from Mr. Razor's site, in 1906 a guy could shave in four minutes...'course, he's not doing his upper lip!

proxy.php

I'd agree that rapid shower shaving and DE's are not a match made in heaven, but I'm sure somebody will chime in who's developed that skill.

I think SiBurning has a fine idea with the Schick Injector. I reach for it when I'm in an all fired hurry.

I can get a solid shave in just under 10 min.

When I'm in a real hurry sometimes I will still pull out the cartage razor to save some time. This is a rarity for me though, as I enjoy my evening shaves and went to night time just to be able to have the time needed to enjoy it. YMMV.

If your getting a great shave now why change?

I was thinking the same thing. For years my brother shaved with cheap plastic Walmart single blade disposables. I tried to get him interested in D/E shaving. He played with it for a while then went right back to his disposables. I asked why he did'nt continue working with it, he said it was too much monkeying around. It was much easier and quicker for him to lather up in the shower with can goo and zip the cheap razor around and he claims to get just as good a shave.

Last edited:
several have said if time is an issue DE shaving is not for me.

but as I said, time is an issue. I don't begrudge anybody who can take the time/chooses to take the time to do the wet shave routine. it's just something I can't do right now. if it takes 30 minutes to DE shave then you're right: I'm out.

however, I wonder if there aren't some guys getting a great shave with a DE in less than 10 minutes. if so, please chime in. I know shaving is a big complicated time consuming ritual for some (and again, I don't begrudge that to you) but is that mandatory for DE shaving? I kinda hope not.

as far as "single pass" shaving goes - if you know of a disposable that will give me a BBS in a single pass post it up asap!!! :w00t: I sure haven't heard of it yet! it takes 3 passes usually for me to shave. but at the end of 3 passes I've got a great shave - in less than 10 minutes. I'd guess around 7 total.

some have asked why I want to change? simple: DE shaving appeals to me. it's why I use a brush and soap. it's just cool and manly. I'd love to do it - if I can make it work. that's why I asked the question.

tried again this afternoon on a day's worth of stubble with a DE and a new Derby blade. not a fair test since my face wasn't wet and warm enough and I paid for it. major facial irritation and a lousy shave.

need to go back to the shower and try it again there. maybe I can find the right razor blade combo to make this work. suggestions there appreciated too.

I have done the under 10 minute shave, but I enjoy shaving too much to rush it:blush: Luckily I have the ability to spend as much time as I want on my shave. So while it is possible to shave fast with a DE, it may be better to save the DE for when you have time to spend on it and use a disposable along with the brush and soap when you don't. This way you get the time in on the DE to get your technique down and speed up without having to rush the learning curve. If DE shaving appeals to you so much in time you will get it, and may even find a way to make time for the 30 minute BBS shave. I think that the long shave times for me are the equivalent of the long bubble bath for a woman, just that I get to do it every day while they don't:biggrin1:

If your getting a great shave now why change?

That was my thought. It seems you are very happy with your currently routine, why change something that works?

I switched to DE shaving because the cartridges were causing me a lot of irritation, ingrowns, razor bumps and my neck area looks terrible, but, I've met a lot of people that get awesome looking shaves from a cart. The second reason was I got tired of paying Gillette $3-4 for a product that costs 10-20 cents.

I'd say it takes 3-4 weeks to get a decent shave from a DE... then as you refine your technique and shave more often it gets better and better.

It takes me about 10-12 minutes to shave (in a relaxed manner). Obviously, making a nice lather with a brush and working it into the face takes a bit longer but I love the process and the luxury. If I'm in a pinch I can do a 1-pass shave with Cremo cream (hand lathering) and good decent results in under 5 minutes.

Honestly, DE shaving isn't for everybody. I find you need a little bit of passion and you must enjoy the process to really appreciate it.

shave in the shower. get a very good to great shave every morning from a disposable razor, beehive soap and badger brush. takes about 5 minutes or less.

have been trying with my dad's safety razor and some new blades. lots of trying. takes forever and I get a lousy shave.

so... the question: how long does this take to "get it?" what I'm looking for is to get as good a shave with this DE razor as I get from an elcheapo Personna Speed 3 from Wally World.

I know some guys take their time shaving, do a whole work up and really enjoy and get a great shave from a safety razor. I tried that and just don't have the time for it. that's just not for me. I need this Gilette DE with Crystal blades in it to integrate into the quick shower shave routine that does work for me.

Ideas on that?

I do the whole routine, but there is nothing that says you can't keep using cheapo Personna Speed 3s with some fun creams and soaps.

BTW, it took about a week. I shaved the "easy" parts of my face with a DE for about 3 days, with a Fusion taking care of the rest. On the 4th day, and thereafter, I'm been 100% DE.

I think Fusions are fasters, and do a good job (albeit very expensively) but for me, I love the entire routine.

If you're already lathering with a soap and brush, and doing a 3-pass shave, DE should take exactly the same amount of time as a cartridge once you get comfortable with the feel of it in your hand. People who complain about the time it takes to DE shave are usually comparing it to a one-pass shave with foam from a can.

Top Bottom