What's new

rolls razor: help sought - blade does not "double click" when honing/stropping

Firstly, please make allowances for a new poster if this issue has been raised before.

Ever since I saw one when a chiropody student in the late 70s, I've been fascinated with the Rolls Razor. However, I never expected to own one, and rather forgot about them.

Now, thanks to the wonders of e-bay, I am the proud owner of three Rolls Razor Imperial No. 2 models. Two of which are now in tip-top working order.

It was always my intention to use them and this website has proved invaluable in providing useful tips etc., for which I thank you.

I've been using the Rolls now for about six weeks, with excellent results once I got used to it.

However, I have noticed that one of my razors will not always give that "double click" when the blade guard first hits the strop/hone followed by the blade. It is as if it sticks some times in the "up" position so only the guard is stropped/honed. I don't want to force anything as mindful of advice from here, I am always careful not to bang the blade down.

I have examined the blade and the guard mechanism seems to be fully mobile. It flips back and forth between my fingers fairly easily. The hone and strop are both in "as new" condition and I have been using strop paste about once a week.

Can any reader shed light on this? Should I try and take the guard off the blade to check it - and how easy is this? Could it be that the alignment of the barrel mechanism holding the clip is somehow incorrect so that the blade does not go down far enough?

Awaiting replies with interest!

Perhaps you know of this but in case you dont theres a Rolls Razor social group that you can find by clicking on Community up at the top under WIKI and to the right of USer CP. I own one of these bad boys but dont know much/anything about how they work, more of an impulse buy on the bay one day, havent had the nerve to try an shave with it yet. Gd Luck!

Top Bottom