What's new

bought a gold dollar #108

I know I know. Its supposed to have been fixed and shave ready. Figured I would take a gamble on it to see which side of the gold.dollar issue I fall on. Heck for 12 bucks it might at least be a decent razor to try to learn to hone on.

As long as I don't bleed out on my first shave with it I'll be alright with the purchase.

I bought 2 of these for very little cash, 1 i have honed, took a while, the heel was way off, but it now shaves great, the other one is in the que, take your time and you will get a good razor, let us know your resuls.

My experience with the Gold Dollar is that they definitely can be made shave ready. The metal seems softer than most other razors. I hone with even less pressure than normal, and hone less on each hone during the progression of hones, and strop more often (but not longer.) Typically, I strop in the middle and at the end of a Gold Dollar shave.

But, every razor has its characteristics. For $12 we don't expect a Boker! The Gold Dollar definitely has a place.

My experience with the Gold Dollar is that they definitely can be made shave ready. The metal seems softer than most other razors. I hone with even less pressure than normal, and hone less on each hone during the progression of hones, and strop more often (but not longer.) Typically, I strop in the middle and at the end of a Gold Dollar shave.

But, every razor has its characteristics. For $12 we don't expect a Boker! The Gold Dollar definitely has a place.

Larry,

You may have just convinced me to finally "spring" for one and give it a whirl!

I'll post pics of the tool when it gets here. I'm glad to here they take a decent edge. I dug my strop out and rubbed it with my palm for about 10 minutes and it looks good to go. I also ordered a balsa strop treated with handamerica cromo.
Now I just have to figure out if I want a belgian blue or a coti. I was born in belgium so for that reason alone it will ne one of those stones.
I am also in contact with ken to see if my dubl duck is honable.
I also have 2 nice blades I am gonna restore and put handles on. I have been searching for a wade and butcher but keep getting outbid.

The straight razor bug has bit and it has fangs!
Please forgive my gramar as I am typing this on my phone.

Top Bottom