What's new

How many shaves do you get with an SE blade?

I have a few SE razors on the way, never used one.

I bought some Treet SE blades at the drugstore so I will be using those when I get them.

I shave 3-5 days roughly with an average DE blade.

Just wondered about how long an SE blade lasts for most of you?

Thanks!

I don't use an SE, but you have to take into consideration that you're only using ONE edge as compared to TWO with the DE. e.g. If you get x number of shaves out of both an SE and a DE, the SE edge is really lasting twice as long as the DE's since each side of the DE is only last x/2 shaves. If you get MORE shaves out of an SE than a DE, then it's more than double...you get the idea.

Did that make any sense??

My experience has been different. Having used SE razors for the last 2 months now, I've found that I get LESS shaves with an SE blade compared to my DE blades. On average, I'll get 6-8 shaves from a DE blade (Red IP, 7 o'clock yellow, 7 o'clock black, or Gillette Nacet Platinum). With my SE blades (treet, GEM, and Shick (injector)) I've gotten two BBS shaves and another DFS shave. After those three, the fourth will be very uncomfortable. Just my experiences. As always, ymmv!

BJC

My experience has been different. Having used SE razors for the last 2 months now, I've found that I get LESS shaves with an SE blade compared to my DE blades. On average, I'll get 6-8 shaves from a DE blade (Red IP, 7 o'clock yellow, 7 o'clock black, or Gillette Nacet Platinum). With my SE blades (treet, GEM, and Shick (injector)) I've gotten two BBS shaves and another DFS shave. After those three, the fourth will be very uncomfortable. Just my experiences. As always, ymmv!

BJC

The two SE types I have tried, coated GEMs and Blue Stars, have felt a bit rough to shave with and pull a little bit. I can still get an excellent shave with them, but I do find my DE blades of choice to give me a much more comfortable experience.

If there are SE blades that are smoother and sharper, I would be willing to try them out. It's difficult for me to get hold of Treet SE blades but if anyone recommends them, or anything else in my particular case, I'll try them out.

The two SE types I have tried, coated GEMs and Blue Stars, have felt a bit rough to shave with and pull a little bit. I can still get an excellent shave with them, but I do find my DE blades of choice to give me a much more comfortable experience.

I have the same experience. I get a great shave with the Gems , but de's are even better and closer for me. I think that if I have a few days growth , the se will cut through a little easier though.

I don't use an SE, but you have to take into consideration that you're only using ONE edge as compared to TWO with the DE. e.g. If you get x number of shaves out of both an SE and a DE, the SE edge is really lasting twice as long as the DE's since each side of the DE is only last x/2 shaves. If you get MORE shaves out of an SE than a DE, then it's more than double...you get the idea.

Did that make any sense??

Yes, but that's not the question. The question was how many times can you shave with a given blade, not with each edge.

I can get 2-3 shaves out of a good SE blade. Considering I am doing legs here, that is pretty dang good. I only use my DE blades 1-2 times depending on the blade.

It seems to vary from lot to lot. Allow me to explain: I have been shaving with single-edge razors for quite a long time (I received my first GEM 1912 from my grandfather when I went into the service in 1967). In that time I found the shaving qualities of some blades, of the same brands, have changed dramatically... on occasion for the better, but many times for the worse. I have also found this anomaly to be true for the blades that are currently available. Case in point: The two photographs show front and back views of the same GEM Blue Star blade, which I purchased from the Shoebox Shave Shop only last week. This particular blade is spent. It has provided me with four excellent shaves. You will note that the blade is pristine. No rust or apparent discoloration after four daily shaves, all done with my Micromatic bullet-handle shown in the photograph. The point is, this has not always been the case with GEM Blue Star blades. I recall some years ago I bought several packages of the same blade, which provided me with shaves that were perfectly dreadful. Those blades were dull, they pulled, burned, and they rusted after only one use. The blades that are currently sold under the GEM Blue Star label are nothing short of excellent. The same brand... sampled two years apart.

So, I am sorry to report; what you read on the bulletin board may no longer accurately describe what is available right now. Which leads me to wonder, is there any interest in a periodic single-edge blade evaluation thread?

Last edited:
If there are SE blades that are smoother and sharper, I would be willing to try them out. It's difficult for me to get hold of Treet SE blades but if anyone recommends them, or anything else in my particular case, I'll try them out.

I've tried both carbon Treet and the Gem Stainless. For me, the Treet provide a much smoother first shave compared to the GEM. The Treet however are rust prone. The GEMs do smooth out with a little time.

My advice: Find any SE blades you can and give them a try. As in all things - ymmv.

For me, Gem blades barely last one shave. Corking and stropping aren't enough for them to agree with my face. Treets are good for 5, if they get dried and palm stropped.

I finished my seventh shave with a Walgreen's stainless Gem blade. It was a great, super close shave as usual with the Gems.

I feel like it's dulled a little bit since I started with it, but compared to a Shark DE blade, which I generally get 6 shaves out of, the Gem feels like it's only halfway through.

Or to put it another way, the difference between the first shave and the seventh shave on the Gem blade feels like the difference between the first shave and the third shave on the Shark DE. So if things hold up, I may only be half way through the Gem's life at seven shaves.

We'll see. The sharpness may fall off quicker from here on out. I think it may be a freak blade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom