What's new

What french (dutch) oven to choose

I'm looking for a new dutch oven. The size should be 4-5 litres. Right now I'm considering between Le Creuset and Staub but I'm open to other brands too. Any hints? Why to choose one over another? Other brands? Personal experiences are very welcome! Thanks!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a Chasseur and it works very well. Le Creuset is excellent too. Depending on what you want to do, I would recommend one of the big ones. I got a 26cm and love it. Perfect for a stew, soup, roast, anything pretty much. I even baked cookies in there.

What I look for in Dutch Ovens, make sure it's thick and heavy. Le Creuset is already a good company so I wouldn't worry about it. If you can afford it, it's a great buy.

One thing to consider is headroom in a pot- if I am going to use 4-5 qts then I want a 7-9 quart pot.
The Le Creuset brand has been good to me.

I have several pieces of le Creuset cookware that my grandfather used in his business for 20 years. I have been cooking in them for over 10 years now. While they are expensive I don't think you can go wrong, as long as you take care of them they will last forever. The cast iron provides great heat distribution and the enamel is fairly non-stick.

-Matt

Got a Lodge cast iron 7 quart dutch oven and I'm completely pleased with it.

It's available for half of suggested retail at WallyWorld.

I cook for another adult and two growing boys, anything smaller just wouldn't do.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a new dutch oven. The size should be 4-5 litres. Right now I'm considering between Le Creuset and Staub but I'm open to other brands too. Any hints? Why to choose one over another? Other brands? Personal experiences are very welcome! Thanks!

I love both my Staub and Le Crueset DO's. Both interchange well, a small nod to the Staub. It just feels better to me. I do have a third dutch oven that I enjoy braising meats for stews in. That's Emile Henry Ceramic DO.

Michal

Le Creuset man here. For many years. And in hindsight, I agree to go a little bigger than you think you need. You don't have to fill it up every time for it to be effective, but you'll appreciate the room when you need it. It'll put a hole in your pocket trying to have a different size for every occasion. Spend wisely, but worth every penny.

I'm not familiar with the French ovens of the other makers, but the interior is no place to scrimp.

Any experience with Camp Chef Lewis & Clark dutch ovens? It's one of the two DO brands you can find in Slovenia :glare: The other being a much more expensive Le Creuset.

IMHO: Staub has a darker colored interior which will not discolor over time (different than Le Cruset with a lighter interior).

Also Staub has little things that look like stalagtites on the top cover so that when water collects up there it will drip back over whatever you're cooking...making it better?

Got a Lodge cast iron 7 quart dutch oven and I'm completely pleased with it.

It's available for half of suggested retail at WallyWorld.

I cook for another adult and two growing boys, anything smaller just wouldn't do.

We've had an enamel coated Lodge for a couple of years now and it is GREAT. I seem to remember it being less than $70 at Wally World.

Top Bottom