What's new

Barn Coat

If you want a bean coat order it it will arrive in a couple of days.
Do you want something similar, a Barbour perhaps for a notch up to a field coat?

Barbour Border would fit the bill. Try Orvis, I believe there is one on 5th av.

But Bean makes a waxed cotton field coat too for about $300 less than you'd spend on the English Barbour alternative, and with a more usable game pocket imho. Doesn't Bean offer free shipping too?

I have/had LL Bean barn/field coats, a Filson packer, and Barbour coats, but the workhorse is the Carharrt -- had it for 15 years, paid about $75, it has taken a beating and shows it, but has held up tremendously well. It is completely faded, frayed cuffs, but it still does the job when dirty work gets done.

If you want a bean coat order it it will arrive in a couple of days.
Do you want something similar, a Barbour perhaps for a notch up to a field coat?

I agree with Jim. The Bean barn coat is a classic and has been around for years and is a good value. I think that Sierra Trading Post still carries Barbour.

Regards,

Doug

Im partial to Carhart and dickies... but thats only because I abuse the crap out of mine... I guess my barn coats get used, well, in the barn not in NYC.... but I usually find carharts in some places like rugged warehouse or I order all mine but dickies can be found in walmarts

I see the OP mentioned having "American made" LL Bean barn coats. Trouble is, it's hard to find anything American made in the Bean catalog these days, except maybe the classic Maine boots.

I noticed Orvis touting some American-made classics recently, including a Gitman flannel shirt that went for roughly $170, if memory serves. That must be one might fine flannel shirt.

I'd second the suggestion for the Barbour Border. Great length for outdoors, incredibly tough, and it looks better and better the more you beat it up. Not cheap, but if you search, you can find some reasonable deals. Try searching on http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com "Trad Forum" ...

Filson is made in the USA and has their tin cloth "packer" and "field" jackets for around $300. Filson and Barbour are great quality, but Filson meets the made in the USA requirement.

I've worn the LL Bean barn coat for about 12 years. Get's better looking every year. I can wear it when it's cool outside, or layer underneath when it's really cold. One of my favorite possessions, along with...

My Maine Hunting Boots I've had since 1985. I've sent them back to LL Bean for new soles/lowers sewn onto the leather uppers now 4-5 times since then. They're still my go to boots when hunting. Seems like it's about $39 for the refurbishing.

Top Bottom