What's new

What's the difference between Old Spice cologne and aftershave? And other questions.

I'm an Old Spice newbie... so what is the difference between the cologne and the aftershave?

I recently picked up a bottle of Shulton aftershave and just love the scent. Should I be looking for cologne, too?

Also, I understand the scent of vintage Shulton is different than the current P&G offering. How so?

From what I've been able to ascertain, most folks lament the loss of the old formulation and pine for it. Does the new stuff smell that bad/different?

I'm not an Old Spice expert, but I think the aftershave and the cologne smell the same; just the intensity of the scent is higher in the cologne.

From what I understand, the old Shulton formulation did smell appreciably different from the new one, but I don't know what the differences are.

I won't assert myself as an expert either, but I would say the difference between the older version and the new version is probably pretty minimal.
Especially if:

A) You're new to using Old Spice
and/or
B) Not a real perfume head

I'm perfect willing to have Old Spice fans hop in here and tell me I'm very wrong. But my gut is that if you used Old Spice for years, the change to the new formula would be very noticeable to you. If you grabbed your first bottle this week, it may or may not be noticeable. The new version doesn not smell "bad" to me. It's been years since I smelled the original. I would venture the new version is slightly modernized. With Old Spice you have to realize that you have a product that's been around since the '30s. That company has been busily reinventing itself with their body washes and I doubt sales of Old Spice AS or cologne are a fraction of what they once were. It was inevitable they tinker it to try and make it more palatable to men under 50.

As Kingfisher said, the difference between cologne and AS is concentration of the scent. Also, the AS is meant to be slapped on shaved face; the cologne is meant to splashed on chest, neck or wrists. Cologne is generally not applied to face, especially after a shave. The cologne strength should also last longer. Most AS is pretty fleeting as a "scent" to be worn.

Last edited:
Just to add a bit to what has already been said, the p&g old spice smells good, but sweeter and more floral than the shulton formula. To me, the latter was more spicy. So basically, it depends on which kind of scent you like more as to which version you would favor.

I'm also not an expert but....

I think that the P&G cologne seems to be more floral and powdery than the Shulton cologne. Word of warning: do shake the bottle of cologne before applying or else you will get questioned if you just put on sun screen. Several people asked me this prior to me shaking the bottle then applying.

Old Spice Aftershave goes on and lasts a while.....slowly depleting until not really noticeable.

The Old Spice Cologne was an accidental discovery for me when I purchased a two pack containing two small bottles. One with the aftershave and one with the cologne.

The cologne has a great smell that is not at all offensive and lasts all day. The girls in my place of work love it too....so do I.

P

perfumelover1009

This is an interesting topic. After reading a few of your comments, I decided to consult the perfume / cologne website where I have purchased my fragrances for years www.worldSfragrances.com and in conclusion the main difference is the following;

* Aftershave is mean to cure the skin from damage that may have been caused by the use of the blade when shaving. Even though, they have scents they have that other purpose. In the case of colognes, they are only meant to provide a scent we can all enjoy. What do you think of that?

I had a chance to try current production P&G Old Spice aftershave today and, no, I will not be buying this product. Quite a let down, IMO.

I just love the smell of vintage Shulton Old Spice AS. It's manly, comfortable, warm, deep, comforting.

The current P&G Old Spice AS smells like cheap baby powder spiked with a bit of OS scent. It smells way too much like any dime-a-dozen powdery smelling bath product. Nothing special, like the vintage stuff. It reminds me a lot of that chalky, powdery smelling, white deodorant I used to use.

I feel sad, now. P&G took a fantastic iconic scent and turned it into a common "me too" powdery bath product. Why would anyone want to splash this on and smell like deodorant all day?

Just my opinion, of course, but I sure am disappointed at the new stuff. I'm sad that I've just discovered vintage OS and can't get it as a current production scent.

Last edited:
I have some of the Shulton, but nothing to compare it to! What I have smells like, well, Old Spice! Haven't used it for years; replaced it with Tabac which has in turn been replaced by many fragrances. Wife loves the smell of Old Spice.

I had a chance to try current production P&G Old Spice aftershave today and, no, I will not be buying this product. Quite a let down, IMO.

I just love the smell of vintage Shulton Old Spice AS. It's manly, comfortable, warm, deep, comforting.

The current P&G Old Spice AS smells like cheap baby powder spiked with a bit of OS scent. It smells way too much like any dime-a-dozen powdery smelling bath product. Nothing special, like the vintage stuff. It reminds me a lot of that chalky, powdery smelling, white deodorant I used to use.

I feel sad, now. P&G took a fantastic iconic scent and turned it into a common "me too" powdery bath product. Why would anyone want to splash this on and smell like deodorant all day?

Just my opinion, of course, but I sure am disappointed at the new stuff. I'm sad that I've just discovered vintage OS and can't get it as a current production scent.

I agree 100%.
I was so disappointed when I purchased a bottle of this new stuff.
How can they call this "Classic old spice" there is nothing classic about it.
To make matters worse the bottle is now plastic.
Seems to me "classic" and plastic do not go together.:thumbdown

I agree 100%.
I was so disappointed when I purchased a bottle of this new stuff.
How can they call this "Classic old spice" there is nothing classic about it.
To make matters worse the bottle is now plastic.
Seems to me "classic" and plastic do not go together.:thumbdown

Yeah, the plastic bottle cheapens the whole thing. Though I could live with the plastic bottle if the scent were the same. Woe is we!

Top Bottom