What's new

Slash's Hookah Tutorial, Part 1 of 5

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
PART 1 of Slash's Hookah Tutorial
INTRODUCTION

Welcome, hookah newbies and wannabes! Your curiousity has led you to a doorway that opens to a path of great bliss and contentment: the joy of the hookah. A hookah, or narghile as it is called in Turkey, is a smoking appliance and method like none other. In every other form of tobacco smoking, the tobacco is burnt. In a properly prepared hookah, it is slowly heated, and the moist elements in the tobacco mixture are gently vaporized, then passed through water and a long hose to the smoker. I will not go out on a limb and declare that hookah smoking is safer than cigar, pipe, or cigarette smoking, because I simply don't know for sure and I doubt any scientific studies have ever been made on the question. I will positively declare that moderate and occasional use of nearly anything is safe, relative to continuous use/abuse, and that an occasional hookah is a sublime way to relax for an hour or two.

Here is an overview of the smoking process. First, the hookah is assembled, with water added to the base. After checking for leaks, the bowl is loaded with shisha, which is the smoking mixture. Usually this consists primarily of tobacco but there are blends that have no tobacco. Aluminum foil is stretched over the top of the bowl and sealed around it. Holes are poked in the aluminum foil, and glowing coals are distributed on top of the foil. The smoker draws on the hose, and the vaccuum pulls air past the charcoal where it is superheated, then down through the bowl where it vaporizes some of the shisha, and these vapors travel down the riser, bubble up through the water, and pass up into and through the hose, to the smoker, who inhales them. The smoke is not held in the lungs as with smoking a certain other vegative material, but is instead exhaled straightaway. There is of course some effect from the nicotine, but the main enjoyment is in savoring the rich feel, texture, aroma and flavor of the smoke as it passes in and out over the taste buds. The visual effect of the swirling clouds of smoke, the bubbling sound and the incredible thickness of the smoke in the base, sort of focus the consciousness through some sort of metaphysical window. The mind drifts into a parallel state where everything is still real but the bad things don't matter any more, and the good things are remembered, considered, and appreciated. Both mind and body are relaxed, and any thought of physical activity brings only amusement, not action. That is the magic of the hookah. A truly leisurely smoke. The smoke of kings.

Hookahs can be divided roughly into two categories: the older Turkish style, and the new style developed in Syria, Jordan, and Egypt. The Turkish style utilizes a bowl that is inserted INTO the top of the riser. The seal between bowl and riser is made by wrapping the part that goes inside the other part with wet cloth, paper, or with cloth tape. Because of this, practically any bowl will fit practically any hookah. The seal between the riser and base, and between the hose and its ferrule on the riser, are also sealed with tape and so the fit is also universal, though occasionally some small amount of whittling is required on the hose connector thingie. The new style uses a bowl that seats on the riser so that the riser goes up into the base of the bowl. The seal is made with a rubber bushing. Bowls are not necessarily interchangeable with this type, so the buyer must be sure to buy a spare bowl or two when purchasing the hookah. Hoses are smaller, and also seal with a rubber bushing. The base has either a flanged rubber bushing, or threads, and the riser and base usually are not necessarily interchangeable to any great degree. The Turkish style hose has a long hand-piece, between 10 and 20 inches long. The new style has a very short handpiece, and the hose is plastic instead of leather. In keeping with current marketing practices, it is intended that the "newest, better" style is pushed on the consumer, so that the hookah one buys now will be obsolete at some point in time. The Turkish style is timeless, and doesn't rely on a particular style of sealing bushing to be still made to keep it working properly. A hundred year old Turkish hookah is just as good as one made yesterday.

Wannabes should try their first smoke in a hookah cafe rather than jumping in with both feet and buying all the parapharnalia. An experienced waiter will prepare the hookah so that all you have to do is take up the hose and smoke. He will replenish your coals as needed. Don't be afraid to inhale deeply. You will not cough and it will not be irritating. You will want tea or coffee with your hookah, and the most enjoyable way to indulge them is to take the occasional sip between hits on the hookah. Beer or other alcoholic beverages are not recommended and are certainly not traditional. You might try iced tea if smoking outdoors in warm weather. Sparking water is good. Most sodas are not so good with the hookah. Sometimes middle eastern style sweets are served with your hookah, and you may want a nibble now and then. In American hookah cafes, it is not unusual to see patrons eating more substantial fare but I think it is more enjoyable to concentrate on the hookah and to eat later. When your coals are getting small, call your waiter over to replenish them. If your hookah suddenly gets harsh, move the coals toward the edge, and stop smoking for a few minutes; the shisha has begun to burn. If you have good coals and you aren't getting any smoke, move them toward the middle and draw strongly on the hose for a few hits. When the smoke is coming out dry and flavorless, you are done. Stop smoking. This will be between an hour and three hours, depending on the size of the bowl and how fast you smoke. You might try a glass of brandy immediately after putting down the hose.

See the other 4 parts of this tutorial in this thread for the details; I will post them as quickly as I can. I hope this tutorial helps aspiring hookah-ists to get started. Enjoy! As Salaam Alaikum!

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Part 2 of Slash's Hookah Tutorial
BUYING A HOOKAH, SUPPLIES, AND ACCESSORIES

The Turkish style is becoming harder to find, outside of Turkey itself, so you might be stuck with buying the new style. When buying the new style, it is important to check it out before taking it out of the shop. Assemble the hookah as if for smoking, seal the palm of your hand to the top of the bowl, and draw on the hose. You are checking for leaks. A very tiny leak is okay. If you are getting a lot of air, something is wrong. Have the clerk fix it or select another hookah. Release your hand from the bowl, and air should pass quite freely through the hookah.

One hose? Two? More? Up to you, but generally a single hose works well enough unless you are throwing a big hookah party or something. BUT... you can quickly turn a multi-hose hookah into a single, by just removing the redundant hose or hoses, and inserting a plug. Or you can plug the mouthpiece. Personally, I like the symmetry of the double hose.

Ensure that your hookah comes with tongs for handling coals, a spare bowl or two, some disposable tips for the mouthpiece, and also preferably a wind screen that sets down over and around the bowl and stops the breeze from disturbing the hot coals. You should have at least one ashtray and it should fit the riser just below the bowl. If there are two ashtrays, then the other one fits between the riser and the base, or between two threaded sections of the riser.

You will of course need shisha, too. Al Fakher is a common brand, and there are several flavors. Try apple, double apple, cherry, mint, or orange to start with. My absolute favorite is Pharaoh brand Extreme Cherry flavor. Nakhla is another popular brand.

Other items you will need include a roll of heavy duty aluminum foil, and a large needle for poking holes in the foil. Try to have a few empty soup cans etc for making a fire can.

There are several online sources for hookahs and hookah supplies. Since these will change over time and my links will go out of date, I won't put them here. Just google it. You can also look in any middle eastern neighborhood in your town. Grocery stores owned by Syrian, Lebanese, etc usually have hookah supplies and even complete hookahs and parts. Any trip to a middle eastern country should include a day spent hookah shopping, especially if you go to Turkey. I have had enjoyable evenings hookah shopping in the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar for stuff. Fierce bargaining and flitting from shop to shop will get you some very good deals. You can get a standard, full size hookah for around $US 25.00 if you persevere. Contrast that with $100-$200 online or in a Middle Eastern grocery in the US. I just bought a very nice double hose hookah with swivel base and check valves in the hose ferrules for 160 dirham, which is about $45, at an Indian shop in Bir Dubai, UAE. it would cost me around 4 times that in the US. Be aware that in the souks and bazaars of Arab countries, the vendors are basically pirates at heart, and will cheerfully charge you a 1000% markup, and bargain ferociously to keep at least a 300% markup, so bargain hard and don't be bashful about walking out of the shop, Thank You, Salaam Alaikum, and have a nice day. When you DO make a purchase, check your hookah out carefully before forking over the bucks, no matter how much the clerk protests that the hookah is of the finest workmanship and is perfect in every respect.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Part 3 of Slash's Hookah Tutorial
SETTING UP AND SMOKING YOUR HOOKAH

With the new style hookah, setup is a breeze. The rubber bushings usually make a very good seal. First, insert the riser into the base to see how high you must fill it with water. The down tube, which goes into the water, should end at least 3/4" above the bottom. The water level should be at least 1-1/2" above the bottom of the down tube, so the smoke can bubble up through the water properly. The water level should be well below the neck of the base, so that water does not splash up into the hose. When you have determined the water level, which should be halfway between these two extremes, fill with water and re-insert the riser assembly. Check for a good seal by sealing the palm of your hand over the top of the riser and sucking on the hose ferrule, where the hose is supposed to stick into the hookah. Now, insert the hose, and check for an airtight seal again. Last, install the bowl and check the seal again.

With the Turkish style hookah, or Narghile, the process is only a little more complicated. You will need some cloth tape, such as medical adhesive tape like Johnson & Johnson. The same stuff you use for bandaging or for chafe protection or taping your hands for boxing. Wrap tape around all "male" parts and ensure a snug fit in the "female" parts, and add or remove wraps of tape as needed.

Now your hookah is ready to load. Your smoking mixture may be somewhat compressed and maybe the moisture has collected at the bottom of the tub. Mix it up. Fluff it up, break up the clumps. Fill the bowl at least 3/4 full but no more than about 3/16" from the top. 1/4" is better. Don't pack it down too firmly. Test the draw to make sure it will draw well. If it is too full, it will come in contact with the aluminum foil and it will burn. As the top part heats up, it may fluff up a little and contact the foil even though you packed it down well below the top of the bowl.

When you are satisfied that you have packed the bowl properly, tear off a square piece of aluminum foil, big enough to overlap the edge of the bowl by a couple of inches all around. Center it on the bowl and seal it firmly down the outside of the bowl. You should try to stretch the foil tightly across the top of the bowl. With a large needle or safety pin, punch a couple dozen holes in the middle of the foil. The pattern of holes should extend about halfway out from the center to the edge.

Light your charcoal. For the beginner, quick-light tablets are okay. You can simply hold one in your tongs and light it with a match or a Bic lighter. Hold it somewhere safe because all the little sparklies are a possible fire hazard. Blow gently on it to get it glowing, and place it on the foil.

For regular charcoal, i.e. not the quick-light, you will have to do a little more work. You can hold a piece with your tongs over a gas stove burner but beware... the tongs will heat up. Two pairs of tongs work well for this. Just transfer back and forth between them. Get at least the edges and corners glowing well, then blow on it to spread the fire. When one side is going good, place it on the foil.

Alternately, you can make a fire can. A good one can be made from a big tomato juice or orange juice can, and a small vegetable can. Poke holes around the bottom of the small can. Poke three equidistant holes around the top edge. Poke three equidistant holes around the big can, about an inch below the top. Tie the small can right in the center of the large one with some wire run through the equidistant holes in each can so that the small can is suspended in mid-air within the large one. If you want to get fancy, you can take coathanger wire and make a handle for the big can. Now you can light a couple of tablets of quick-light, drop them in the small can, and drop some regular charcoal on top. Help it along with a torch if you have one, or whatever. Use your ingenuity.

A more minimalist approach that works well if your hookah also has a lower ashtray in addition to the upper one under the bowl, is to just use the small can, and set it on the lower tier ashtray. Anyway, when you have one or two coals that are mostly covered in ash, transfer one or two onto the foil, near the edge. You are now ready to smoke.

Draw strongly through the hose. It may take a half dozen or so draws to begin getting any smoke. When you do, concentrate on savoring the richness of texture and flavor. Don't hold it in... you are not smoking a bong. Just inhale and exhale and enjoy.

If the smoke becomes harsh, then the shisha is burning. Move your coals close to the edge and let the shisha cool down. The moisture will ensure that it does not burn for long. After a few minutes, resume smoking, with the coals out near the edge. If the smoke becomes weak and thin, move the coals closer to the middle, or add a coal. You can also tap the ash off your coals for more heat. When the smoke seems dry and flavorless, usually after an hour or two, you are done.

SMOKING A HOOKAH WITH MULTIPLE HOSES

Hookahs can be bought with more than one hose. The double hose hookah is popular. Some have up to four hoses. Ideally, each hose ferrule is equipped with a check valve, which allows passage of air or smoke in only one direction. This will usually be a small ball that seats over the smoke passage and is rolled up out of the way when you draw on that hose. Most old-style hookahs do not have this feature, and so when you draw on your hose, the other hose or hoses must be stopped off with a thumb on the tip. Otherwise, you are simply going to draw air through the other hose, into the base and up into your hose, instead of smoke. So everyone must get into the habit of stopping off their hose with their thumb until they are ready to take a hit. When smoking a multiple hose hookah alone, you may want to put a rubber stopper in place of the other hose. You can also insert a disposable tip which has been filled with silicone caulking, which serves to stop off the hose.

CLEANING

You should clean your hookah after each smoke. Remove the foil and scoop out the dried up cinder that was your smoking mixture. Remove the bowl and run water through it in the sink. Remove the hose and riser. Run water through them. Hang the hose up to drain and dry. Stand the riser up in the corner somewhere. Empty the base and rinse it out. You can also clean it with a bottle brush if desired.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Part 4 of Slash's Hookah Tutorial
HOOKAH SAFETY

I know this is short, but safety deserves to be presented by itself.

Always stand your hookah on the floor, so a knock-over has fewer undesired results, such as a shattered base. On top of a table is no place for a hookah!

Always keep a cup of water on hand, to extinguish embers that happen to fall on the rug!

Don't smoke in TOO enclosed of a space. The charcoal produces carbon monoxide, which can be hazardous if allowed to build up. I once got a headache smoking in a very small hotel room with no ventilation.

Don't leave your hookah unattended with hot coals on it. Can you say, "**** happens"?

Speaking of **** happening, always pick up a hookah by the base. If you pick it up by the riser, the base might fall off and shatter. This is especially true of old-style hookahs. The silicone rubber bushing of the new style ones has a lot of grabbing power and maybe MAYBE you can get away with picking it up by the riser. If you do, at least keep it low, an inch or two above the floor as you move it, so it doesn't have far to drop.

Be safe! Don't destroy your hookah. Don't burn down your house. Smoke in moderation. Live long, and prosper.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Part 5 of Slash's Hookah Tutorial
CHARCOAL

No, you can NOT use Kingsford Briquets! Use only charcoal specially made for hookah use, or coals from a fire you have made with wood of a known origin. For instance, a small coal from your fireplace would be okay. Coals from a bunch of kindling split up from a pine 2x4 would probably not be such a good idea.

Quick-lighting tablets are inferior. The charcoal is not very dense and it does not burn very long. Also, there are chemicals in the outer layer to make it light quickly. Usually this is magnesium or something like that, and when it is done sparkling, maybe it is okay. You will know this stuff because it is sold in rolls of round tablets, like a giant roll of LifeSaver candy.

However, there is one type of quick-lighting charcoal that seems to be okay. It is in the form of a rectangular bar that is scored in 2 or 3 places to enable the user to easily break it into convenient size pieces. I have found that holding a bic lighter to a corner for about 60 seconds in a draft-free room will catch it well enough so that in another 5 minutes or so, it is going good enough to put on the bowl. It seems to burn much better than the round tablets. If you must use quick-light, use this kind, and not the round tablets.

Natural charcoal is the class act. This is usually lemon wood charcoal, still in the form of the sticks and chunks of wood from which it was made. It is not crushed and compressed into cubes or whatever. You will have to light this off in a perforated can with a torch or over a gas stove burner. This type is the least convenient to use.

Compressed charcoal is the logical choice for many smokers. It is dense and burns very slowly, and lasts a long time. Like the natural charcoal, it requires a lot of heat to get it going, but I have had success in starting it with a couple of quick-light tablets in the fire can and the compressed stuff on top. It takes at least three cubes of compressed charcoal to get a good self-sustaining fire going in the fire can that will reliably light more cubes. A good method is to use two lighted tablets and then drop three cubes on top of them. If they don't begin to catch after about 10 minutes, then help it along with a torch, or take one cube with your tongs and light it on a gas burner, then return it to the can.

At any rate, a piece of charcoal should be completely or at least mostly covered in gray ash before placing it on the hookah.

This is the end of the tutorial. I hope this helps someone. I will now invite comments. Thanks for reading! Spreading the gospel of the hookah is one of my favorite activities and I appreciate your indulging me.

As a heads up I should point out that here in NZ a hookah is a restricted import as it meets the description of a cannabis smoking implement. Anyone bring one back to NZ as a souvenir of their holiday in Turkey will have it confiscated by Customs at the border. Similarly anyone ordering one off the internet and having it shipped to NZ. (I know of at least one NZ based company that imports in bulk and gets around this by having the hookah broken down to its component parts and shipped separately. Individually these parts are not restricted!)

If after reading this article you are inspired to get a hookah I suggest you check your country's import regulations before buying one on the internet to be imported.

If after reading this article you are inspired to get a hooker then I have no advice for you :001_smile

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If after reading this article you are inspired to get a hooker then I have no advice for you :001_smile
Here in dubai it is possible to get a hookah AND a hooker. I recommend two of the latter, if the former has two hoses. Makes a cute picture. No, not posting that one.

Looks like you know what you're doing :thumbup1:. I've been smoking hookah for years now, and my friends all look to me when hookah info is desired. It's actually a PITA because nobody wants to do any of the setup work, and just tell me that I "do it better." :001_rolle

The only thing I might add/change is that I don't recommend using aluminum foil for smoking. I don't know how bad aluminum is health-wise, but I'd rather not worry about it, and reusable steel screens are easily had at most smoke shops, which in the end saves time, effort, and money.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I could never get them to work well for me. I don't like the holes going all the way out to the edge. Someone should make a thermostatically controlled heater unit to replace both charcoal and foil.

I could never get them to work well for me. I don't like the holes going all the way out to the edge. Someone should make a thermostatically controlled heater unit to replace both charcoal and foil.

I have used clean/brand new soldering iron and some tempered glass rods before and they worked real well. the glass rods were about 1/4 inch in diamater and almost a foot long.. just would heat it up with a torch and then put it on the tobacco. Only downside is it isnt something you can just set on and forget you would have to re light it every now and then

fair enough.

What about size of the hookah? There's load on ebay varying from 11" > 32"

It'd just be me smoking primarily - mabe with 3 or friends.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a 21 inch hookah and it is perfect for setting on a table or coffee table, if you get the bigger ones you'll probably have to keep it on the floor or else the coals will be over your head.

I would seriously consider picking up a hookah someplace other than ebay. SocialSmoke.com, Hookah-shisha.com, and SierraSmoke are reputable vendors, that can get you set up with a hookah for a descent price depending on what you are looking for, but more importantly if there is some issue with it you have come customer service to fall back on. Hookahs are made in factories in Egypt and China, 2 places where the quality control isn't perfect.

Top Bottom