What's new

Does anyone have any good advice for ingrown hairs?

I started DE shaving about a month ago. Overall my shaves have been much improved and the pain of shaving i used to endure is virtually gone. The overall experience has been outstanding.

My biggest remaining problem is the ingrown hairs on my neck. They have been there since i started shaving roughly 13 years ago and still remain today. My facial hair on my neck is very thick, has no consistent direction, and curls HARD.

I've tried practically every OTC ingrown hair treatment. My physician even gave me Retin-A cream but it does nothing

I can take a pic if anyone wants to see...but i can tell you that it's not pretty, never has been, and i'm afraid it never will be.

Has anyone with similar problems had any success with any of the ingrown hair treatments available? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks much.

You can use a tooth brush on the ingrown hairs or even crush an aspirin tablet and a little bit of water and apply it. That can help with ingrown hairs, mantic59 should have a video on it.

Another vote for Mantic59 videos on youtube. Also Tweezerman sells tweezers for ingrown hairs.

1. To prevent ingrown hairs make sure to thoroughly wash your neck each time you wash your face and especially before you shave.

2. Problem areas should well hydrated. Use a washrag to exfoliate instead of exfoliating products such as cream scrubs.

3. I'd also use witch hazel after washing the face and before applying conditioner or moisturizer.

4. When you use a moisturizer, first put some onto your palms, rub your palms then apply to face.

5. Try shaving with the grain and across the grain and not against the grain.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
You can use a tooth brush on the ingrown hairs or even crush an aspirin tablet and a little bit of water and apply it. That can help with ingrown hairs, mantic59 should have a video on it.

Bubu:
I agree with you in regard to using a tooth brush :thumbup1:

My recuring problem of 'in-grown’ hairs has been ‘mostly’ (besides a few ‘problem’ hairs..every now & then), solved by lathering-up & 'softening' my face, then using a old tooth-brush and hot water to ‘gently’ exfoliate / scrub my whole shaving surface, the night before and before my daily morning shaving ritual :yesnod:

I find that that this 'daily' procedure greatly helps in the reduction of ‘in-grown’ hairs on my face :laugh:.

Christopher :badger:

Bump Patrol, Bump Stopper 2, and Shaveworks Cool Fix are excellent products. I couldn't make it without them.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My wife's waxing technician uses diabetic blood sample needles to lightly dig out ingrown hairs. Apparently they are sharp and sterile. Never tried it myself tho.

Ingrown hair infections?

To alleviate my condition I started gently washing my face three or four times a day and applying Neosporin onto the infected areas. I was able to heal up the ingrown hairs, but if I stopped the regimen and just tried shaving the old way the infection came back within a few days. I eventually used up the tube of Neosporin and did not have a chance to purchase more. I recalled that I had a tub of Bag balm and started using it, in place of the Neosporin. I found that it worked better then the Neosporin. After using it for several weeks my infections disappeared and seldom came back. I can now give myself a three pass DE shave without any more infections.

For those of you that are not familiar with Bag Balm, it has been used by the dairy industry for over one hundred years to help heal and stop inflamation on cow udders. It is available in farm supply/feed stores, pet stores and some pharmacies located in rural areas. One ten ounce tin will last you for years and usually sells for $6 or $7 dollars. It is also good for small cuts, scrapes and abrasions on humans.

I have been very happy with the effectiveness of Bag Balm in it's ability to considerably reduce redness and inflamation resulting from ingrown hairs. If you wash your face and the infected area with soap and warm water at night, before going to bed and then rub a thin coating of the Bag Balm ointment on the ingrown hair follicle, you will be amazed by the results.

There seems to be something in the medication, that over the night, reduces the inflamation to the point that I can CAREFULLY shave over the once infected area without cutting off the inflamed/swollen flesh. If you have a severly infected follicle you may want to hold off shaving the area for a day or so, while applying the salve. After shaving apply a dab to the area for healing throughout the day. It has never taken me more then two days to almost completely heal the once inflaimed hair follicle. Continued use, whenever I see any redness, has all but eliminated ingrowns hairs on my face and neck. YMMV

I

Top Bottom