What's new

Female DE shavers!! A little help here please.

Last night my wife took another attempt at DE shaving, partly because she needed a new blade for the Fusion she uses (which she was out of). And partly because she likes the smell of the GFT Rose cream I got as a sampler. Her first attempt wound up being a fit of frustration with repeated verbal attacks on my razor and it's lack of cutting ability. This time she listened a bit more to me and was trying to get the angle down better. However after lathering her up a nice lather she wound up reducing it to a liquefied mess when I gave her control of the mug and brush. We have a shelf in the shower and it sat on there but somehow she managed to render the lather completely useless.

So my question for you ladies is:

How do you go about getting the whole process done in the shower without destroying the lather in the mug or on your leg with water pelting you from all over? Turning the water off seems like it would get chilly pretty quick and she wasn't keen on that idea at all. I had her turn it down some but still she managed to liquefy a perfectly good mug of lather.

Personally, I shave out of the shower. It depends on what your shower has for shelves. Maybe put it on a shower caddy that hangs on the shower head, or on a shelf on the side, or even put it in one of the corners of the tub in the back and just let it sit there while she showers.

Well, I usually shave in the bath to avoid this problem. However, there are times when I need to shave in the shower. I have a shelf in the back of the shower where I will put my lather bowl if I am using a bowl. Many times in the shower, I will use a brushless cream like Kiss My Face, or use a soap in a bowl that is a bit more forgiving, or even a shave stick. The key is to keep the bowl of lather out of harms way at all costs. You have to protect your lather because this is what helps to give you a good shave. Now as far as the water not hitting you part...is there a way that you can adjust the shower head so while she is shaving the wather will spray only in the front of the shower stall so she can use the back for shaving her legs? I know some these days are not adjustable but just thought I would throw that one out there. I usually put my back to the water and use the side of the back of the shower to put my foot. Yes, I put my foot up on the wall a bit. It takes a bit of a balancing act but thankfully I have a towel rack in the shower to hold on to, and proceed to shave. That way the water is hitting my back and my leg is up out of the water. I will rise the razor behind my back. It is a bit akward but it works. Hope this helps some.

My wife has found that if she shaves while having a shower her results are less then spectacular. Her solution was to shave while having a bath. The hot water helps prep and to shave she usually sits on the side of the tub. Easy to rinse and her lather doesn't deteriorate or disappear.

My wife shaves in the bath. When she is off work this evening I'll see if she has any advice on lather. I know that she uses the Kiss My Face, and lathers by hand, she don't use a brush. Feathers are her favorite razors! :blink:

I may have another solution for you. I did a little experiment this morning. I was about to shave and for some reason this post came to mind. (I just cannot escape B&B). Anyway, I used CO Bigelow, and on one leg I used it as a brushless cream and just applied it to my left leg. I shaved with it and it gave a great shave. It was very slick. It had no cousion of course, but thankfully legs are more forgiving than faces. It really was one of the best shaves I have ever had with Bigelow. On my right leg I started the same way, but I took my brush and leg lathered like you guys would face lather a cream. It did equally as well. Now, my lather was a bit wet as this is the first time I have tried it this way, but it still gave a great shave. It was very slick. I really think the first option would be better for the shower b/c if a bit of water gets on it all you have to do is "relather" using your non-razor hand and keep going. It is a bit more forgiving in my opinion. Of course, as always, YMMV. Just thought I would throw that out there. I would imagine that other creams would work well also, but I have not tried any others yet.

Not to hijack the thread, but if any one has advice on how to get SWMBO to use the DE, let me know. I bought mine a mint Lady Gillette, still the most I have spent on a razor thus far, and I can't get her to try it. I've offered to show her, to no avail. She says she does not trust me, which is ridiculous as I have performed far more risky grooming services in the past, albeit with a Mach 3, which is her argument, thinking erroneously those are "cut proof". I had let this go for awhile, and then she sent me to the store to buy Fusion blades, and I started having a panic attack at the cash register!

Has she tried shaving after the shower? It works out very well for me. My parents would take all my shaving implements if I ever even thought about shaving in the shower at home.

Not to hijack the thread, but if any one has advice on how to get SWMBO to use the DE, let me know. I bought mine a mint Lady Gillette, still the most I have spent on a razor thus far, and I can't get her to try it. I've offered to show her, to no avail. She says she does not trust me, which is ridiculous as I have performed far more risky grooming services in the past, albeit with a Mach 3, which is her argument, thinking erroneously those are "cut proof". I had let this go for awhile, and then she sent me to the store to buy Fusion blades, and I started having a panic attack at the cash register!

Have you tried proving on yourself that the Mach 3 is not cut proof? However, sometimes you can't force a person to do what you want if they don't want to do it.

She hasn't tried doing it after the shower. As far as I know she's basically shaved in the shower her whole life.... Well at least since she started shaving her legs :001_smile. Chances are it's not going to be an all the time addiction like it is for me. She has a pretty hectic schedule so it would likely only be when she has the time. Unless she becomes an addict like me and opts to make time. I'll see if any of the suggestions you ladies provided seem doable for her.

Last edited:
Have you tried proving on yourself that the Mach 3 is not cut proof? However, sometimes you can't force a person to do what you want if they don't want to do it.

I have thought about that, but whenever I touch a modern Gillette, my hand burns and I have to let go in seconds or suffer severe emotional distress, and physical pain.:biggrin1:

I have thought about that, but whenever I touch a modern Gillette, my hand burns and I have to let go in seconds or suffer severe emotional distress, and physical pain.:biggrin1:

Have you considered bribing/betting her :001_smile? Maybe something like let me just do a small spot for one or two passes. If I cut you I'll take you out to dinner.... Or whatever else you think might make her take the wager.

Have you considered bribing/betting her :001_smile? Maybe something like let me just do a small spot for one or two passes. If I cut you I'll take you out to dinner.... Or whatever else you think might make her take the wager.

Bribing could possibly work. It was easy for me. I was fascinated when my husband got interested in it and I wanted to try. I have AD's he is a budget guy, go figure. He wants one good razor, one good soap/cream etc and I want it all!!!! LOL!!! He created a monster....but I digress...It is hard when she will not trust you. I have cut myself less with the DE than I ever did with carts. Tell her I said so!!!

In my house, we're all about cutting costs and saving money recently. I ended up trading some of my unused stuff for a lady gillette for her. The cost is what convinced her to try it. I told her I will buy her a years worth of blades that work better for $10 a year. She was in from that point on.

I basically taught her the same face lathering technique I use. Gave her a tub of Taylors Rose and a tube of RSC. Wet the brush, add a almond size and start lathering on her wet legs. Worked like a charm. She just needed me to show her once and she has taken it from there.

I did give her a trumpers rose sample and she thought it was like an aftershave :001_huh: and rubbed it on her legs and asked me "Was that supposed to be soapy?" I explained that was just a small cream sample for her to try.

So far she's doing well with it.

Top Bottom