What's new

I need some blade advice

I just finished going through all of the different blades in my sample pack.

it consisted of

Feathers
Derbys
Personna Reds
Merkurs

My beard is very thick and course and the Derbys and Merkurs didn't even last a full shave before switching them out. They tugged and did not cut my hair clean so they're out.

The personnas were outstanding if i shave every day. They seem forgiving are easy to use and cause little irrataion. But...if i go more then one day....they still had some trouble getting through the forrest.

The Feathers were fantastic. They sliced through anything with ease. The downfall is they chop my neck up like a butcher to a slab of beef.

So. at this point i'm still looking to try some blades as i know there are a lot out there.

Based on the info above are there any suggestions anyone can make for a blade to try thats close to the sharpness of the feathers but a little more forgiving?

I am currently shaving with a Merkur 23C. Suggestions on upgrading this are welcome too given the circumstance.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
I would give the Iridium Supers a try. They work great for me in my EJ89L. They seem to be very close to Feathers with regards to sharpness and are a little more forgiving.

Don't be afraid to keep trying blades until you find a few that work for you, your equipment and the technique you have. One of the many blade sampler packs that are available out there might be worth investigating. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Iridium, Shark SS, Nacet, Astra SP, and pick-a-Gillette flavor. It is said that Kai are quite sharp, but I haven't used them yet; the others I named I have used.

Try one of the heftier razors for a change. Merkur 34C or 38C, or one of the Parkers, if you're feeling daring! :devil2:

Try one of the heftier razors for a change. Merkur 34C or 38C, or one of the Parkers, if you're feeling daring! :devil2:
Yes, a heavier razor will give any blade more cutting power ... for the ultimate, try a Sledgehammer Slant, Merkur 39C.

You might consider using two razors ... an aggressive one like Slant+Feather for your cheeks and jawline, then switch to a milder combo like 23C+Derby for the sensitive areas you mentioned.

Stick with the Feather blades, and improve your technique with more practice.

DD

Although Feathers may not turn out to be your favourite, I agree and think you should give them more of a chance. They're quite sharp but with require slightly more care than other blades.

I also use Red Pack Personnas and totally agree that for a daily shave they are awesome and forgiving on the face. But if you're switching between those blades and Feathers you have to change your technique. I can be a lot more liberal when using the Personnas, but with a Feather only the lightest touch or they will cause some irritation on my neck as well.

So perhaps when your face is a bit healed from previous Feather encounters you should re-visit them and focus on light touch. If after that you still don't like them then at least you can say you gave them a chance. :thumbup1:

Thanks for all the great info. I shaved tonight (like 10 minutes ago) with a red personna and am very happy with the results. I am thinking they are going to be my go to blade for daily shaving while i'll use the feathers if i go more then a day.

I will keep trying other blades as well though
:thumbup1:

I'd recommend a Kai. I've only used them in my slants, but when I compare them to Feathers in the slants I feel like I get an equally good shave but it's a little more forgiving with regard to nicking myself if I'm not paying attention.

7 o'clock sharp edge yellow packs are almost as sharp as feathers and worth a try. I also heartily recommend a slant bar razor.

Thanks for all the great info. I shaved tonight (like 10 minutes ago) with a red personna and am very happy with the results. I am thinking they are going to be my go to blade for daily shaving while i'll use the feathers if i go more then a day.

I will keep trying other blades as well though
:thumbup1:

After some thought maybe just trying the Red Personnas with another razor is another way to go. Those blades seem to agree with your face, so maybe using that blade in a more aggressive razor (i.e. like the suggested heavier or slant razor) will give you the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom