What's new

Feathers are sharp?!

I used a Feather blade today, generously given to me by noahpictures, and I could not believe this was the sharp blade everyone was talking about. Not a single weeper or nick. Well maybe it was because I shaved during the way, I was very well rested, and I was motivated for a good shave. Regardless, my razor went over an area of skin which didn't have much hair, and I remember not really feeling the blade - they are lighter than my Derby blades.

Feather of Japan has a new believer. :tongue_sm

I think dull blades will often give you more cuts/nicks than sharp ones because you tend to dig in more trying to get a close shave. That being said I had the same experience with Feathers as you. VERY close shave and no nicks/weepers. Only problem is I also got serious razor burn/irritation. Tried a few more times with the same result. I am now using Israeli Personnas and am very pleased. Not as sharp as the Feathers but definitely more comfortable for me.

I like feathers especially in a mild razor. My BRW TTO is perfect for them. Unfortunately when I switch up to something more aggressive I tend to get a couple more nicks and weepers for my trouble. So I switch up to something a little more mild for them.

So I tried that Feather (the one that bit me) this morning and - wow. I'm impressed. I got a really, really close shave with very little effort.

I was a little worried at first, but I just concentrated on zero pressure and it came out great, without a single nick or weeper. Feather may have a new convert.

I agree with other posters on this page. Feather gives a great shave. Guess they're priced a little higher for a reason.

Used properly, Feathers are wonderful shavers. Their high price is relative as Merkur razor blades, as well as other many drug store razor blades, are more expensive and are certainly not as good. If they shave well for you, buy in bulk off the Internet and that will help with the pricing.

Used properly, Feathers are wonderful shavers. Their high price is relative as Merkur razor blades, as well as other many drug store razor blades, are more expensive and are certainly not as good. If they shave well for you, buy in bulk off the Internet and that will help with the pricing.

I see you can get 100 for about $35 off eBay. 35 cents a blade certainly isn't bad for Feathers.

I see you can get 100 for about $35 off eBay. 35 cents a blade certainly isn't bad for Feathers.

You can get them a little cheaper than that price if you do a little digging. There is a vendor that will sell 100 Feather blades for about $27 USD, which includes shipping.

I like Feathers for their sharpness and, in the right razor, their smoothness. They require caution in my Parker 98R, though. Even the slightest mistake will hurt.

Top Bottom