What's new

Paddles

Anyone use a paddle strop? I'm looking at one from srd as it might be convenient for me. I will only get one strop. I'm still in the process of figuring out my straight setup and debating both strops and razors at the moment, which I find very difficult!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
..and I thought this is the new Penhaligon scent...after we have already Racquets, this one would honor the rowers...

I have a paddle strop that I use for diamond pastes. I prefer a hanging strop for daily use though.

+1 I prefer the hanging strop for daily use simply because it's the traditional way and I just like the look of my hand-made strop hanging in my bathroom (I make my own strops using solid brass hardware). However, a paddle strop would work just as well. I use several paddle strops with different pastes for touch-ups between honing.

If I had to wager, I'd say most guys use a hanging strop. However, a paddle strop is really good for pastes as a pasted strop is less forgiving than a hanging strop.

So...if you're a Newb and you want to paste one side of your strop...a paddle may be the way to go.

Since you only want to get one strop...a hanging one would be my recce...

Best of luck and be sure to tell us what you choose to do!

Legion

Staff member
I have, and use, both.

I see a lot of people recommending a hanging strop over the paddle for daily stropping, but I can't really see why. Assuming your paddle had similar dimensions to a hanging strop (which would be easy to make) it seems to me that the paddle would be preferable, especially for a newbie, as there is no chance of getting the tension wrong and rolling the edge. Am I wrong here?

Top Bottom