What's new

Noob to B&B...Seeking advice on techniques/products for head shaving.

G

GoPackGo

Hi, My name is Joshua I live in GA and was referred to this site by a current member. I currently keep a groomed beard, seeing how I am new I am probably a black sheep around here, but I have been shaving my head now for a few months and do not like the cartridge razors and gels for my head. I am really picky about keeping a close shave and don't like the stubble. I started with the disposable razors just to see if I would like the look of a shaved head. Well, I love it so I decided to try the Headblade (the racecar looking thing) but have come to realize it is just a fancy disposable cartridge waste factory. I like to shave my head daily but it was getting ridiculously expensive for not that great of a shave. It is fast and convenient but I have decided I would prefer a closer shave instead so after much research and a little encouragement from my friend I decided to pick up a Gillette H4 from a user on here yesterday and then today picked up some MWF from another user. Here is the catch I have never used a DE razor, I grew up watching men use them in old movies but have never encountered one in real life, so if anyone is still reading this could you point me to some tips, tricks and maybe any threads on here about head shaving with a DE (it would be greatly appreciated)? Also, I am in need of a brush, my friend has a couple different ones he isn't currently using but I need to get 1-2 of my own. Lastly any advice on soaps v. cremes and any lotions/aftershaves to help prevent ingrown hairs, bumps and moisturizes all in one...that would be awsome.-Thanks to those who labored through my ranting.

Welcome to B&B. Not being a headshaver the only advice I can give you is to have a beautiful women do it for you.

Welcome!
This site is a wealth of information with many members really happy to share experiences and advice. Make sure you check out the wiki, it helped me a lot get started.
Cheers
Harry

Welcome to B&B. I'm been shaving my head for about a month with a straight razor and am finally getting the hang of it. Those in the know say that it's a lot easier with a DE. Usually people start shaving their heads with a razor that they are familiar with using on their face. I think that, if you've never used a DE on your face, it's going to be a little trickier and you may nick yourself a few times while learning how to use it. If you're at all like me, that won't stop you. The nicks will heal and you'll eventually figure it out. Just remember to be patient and go slow.

The general advice I can give you is to only go with the grain (crown of the head down) in the beginning, say the first two or three weeks, and only then try to go against the grain, which, in my experience is harder than going against the grain on your face. Use a light touch and don't press down on the razor. The first time I shaved my head with a straight, which I am very familiar with, I shaved with the grain and had no nicks but also didn't get a very smooth shave. The second day I got over confident and went against the grain and got several nicks. Not being familiar with the DE may make it easier for you to get nicks in the beginning. They heal in any case and I think that you will have to spill some blood before you master it.

I've been shaving the cranium for about a year and a half. Up until a few months ago, I had been using the normal grocery store shave foam. That's messy, so messy.

I switched over to a brush and a bowl using Proraso cream. I also bought the new Gillette Power Glide razor. It's expensive, but worth it. I go slow and using that Proraso cream, I can get multiple passes because it's such good stuff. :thumbup1:

Welcome. I am a daily headshaver but I don't use my DE's on my head. Just have not gotten up the nerve to try it yet and don't really have the time necessary to do it on a daily basis . I do use the headblade and get really good results with it. I use the headslick cream, shave in the shower, and do a WTG pass and an ATG pass. I use Wilkinson Sword Atra/Trac II cartidges from Walmart that are only about $0.35 ea so it is not a huge expense for blades and I can have my head smoothly shaved in about 3-5 minutes which gives me more time to enjoy a nice DE shave on my face.

I've been a head shaver for years. I usually use whatever soap or cream of the day that Im using on my face. As for blade choice I use an atra handle with the wally world wilkinson sword blade. Since I shave my head everyday my routine is pretty quick, ATG all the way around. So it's basically a one pass.

Top Bottom