What's new

Day 1 Diary, and a lovely shave!

So, the Bride says "What'cha looking at?" I tell her it's this site about shaving called Badger & Blade.

She says "You hate shaving!"

I say "Yes, I know, but it's something I have to do so I may as well make the best of it." (I should state I work in a chemical plant, so anything past 2 days growth on your face is a no-no of a serious sort.)

I go into some more detail about how I'm going to be getting a DE razor, a nice brush, yadda yadda yadda.

Later on last night, she has to go to the drug store for a few things, and she comes back with this big grin on her face. I say "What??"

She hands me this bag containing an El Cheapo Wilkinson Sword "Natural Bristle" brush, a tub of the same brand of shave soap, a small tube of Nutrogena Post Shave Lotion and a fresh pack of blades for the Mach III razor I've been using for eons. She said she looked for DE razors there but didn't have any.

So while it isn't quite what I had in mind as a starter kit, the thought was there from my ever supportive wife, right??

OK, fast forward to this morning....................

I figure I'll give this a whirl!!! I went through the usual shower routine except for shaving in the shower (which I always did).

I had already laid out all the parts & pieces around the sink. I had a bajillion things I'd read running through my mind. Managed to get a decent lather with the brush and this tub of soap (on the 3rd try:rolleyes: ).

I shaved the cheeks and neck first leaving under the nose, around the mouth and chin 'till last, with the grain. I used the lightest pressure possible and was amazed at how much hair actually came off. I rinsed off my face lightly with a hot wet cloth, and relathered.

This time I went against the grain, again, much slower and lighter than I am used to, while slightly "pulling" the skin taught with the first 2 fingers of my left hand. There was still minor stubble where the hair grows at real wonky angles, so I just squeezed the soap on the brush and wiped it over any place where the stubble was left with the razor following closely and lightly behind.

I wiped off and dried my face and put about an almond sized amount of the Nutrogena cream in my hand and massaged my face with it.

Right now, about an hour after shaving, I can honestly say this is by far the best shave I've had since June 30th, 1979 (wedding day, and my only true barber shave to date).

I now know the true meaning of my face feeling like a baby's bottom. I find it hard to describe the way the skin feels (not to the fingers, just the sensation in my face). To say it feels tight would sound wrong, because it feels right. It just feels so different, in a wonderful sort of way.

I don't mean to be disrespectful in any way to anyone (this being Easter Saturday), but the first thing that comes to my mind is:

"Brothers, I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!"

Newfie,
Congrats on the great shave, thats what we are all looking for. A good shave makes the whole day go better.

the thought was there from my ever supportive wife, right??...OK, fast forward to this morning....................

What you snapped and slept on the couch?

Just kidding way to play it cool :001_cool:

You might just find yourself a candidate for AD's. Start prep'ing your wife for the space a "few" brushes, razors, creams, soaps, Moss Scuttle, ASB's and EDC's are going to take up.

My first DE shave brought back memories of when I first started shaving-before the beard toughened up and thickened out. S-m-o-o-t-h.... Like you, I just couldn't get over the results. Can I get an AMEN? :badger:

Congrats! Although the blue Wilkinson soap and their boar bristle brush are a humble starter kit, they are not awful as far as starter kits go. The soap is actually very nice for what you pay for it.

I think that every thing that make you enjoy and happy is worth having :smile:

Any way - don't hesitate for a second, get yourself a nice DE and the sample pack of blades, for now that should be a good start
But
I am sure you will find you need a better badger hair brush, and maybe some better soaps and creams to :biggrin:

Top Bottom