What's new

Long-time lurker, first post

Hi folks, I've been a long-time lurker on this forum for perhaps 2 yrs now, about the same amount of time I've been shaving with a DE razor. This is my first post.

I've been considering trying out a straight razor for a little while now, but haven't taken the plunge yet. I think my girlfriend is scared of them after seeing Sweeney Todd. :laugh: Any suggestions on sourcing a fairly inexpensive blade would be much appreciated!

Welcome to B&B Mittens :thumbup1:.

Nothing to be scared of. Look into the BST for good sales that come up daily. You may have to be patient. Don't go the eBay route for now until you have developed a knack for what you are looking for

Other options are classifieds section of SRP (StraightRazorPlace.com)...There are a lot more straight razors for sale there usually...very good source.

Stick to Round point, 5/8-6/8 size, heavier grind (1/4 hollow-ish). In fact, if you can, get 2...This way the edges will last longer and you can have a backup when you send one for honing in 1-2 months time

Have you looked into brushes, strops, cremes, soaps, etc?

Good luck and have fun:thumbup1:

I have a nice-ish badger brush I bought somewhere (don't remember) and a really terrible Rooney boar brush that was my father's (before he switched to an electric shaver... gag). I currently use Tabac shave soap and love love love it, many thanks to the reviewers who touted its greatness.

As far as cheapy ebay blades go, if I wanted to practice honing razors (I sharpen my own kitchen knives), would that be the best option, in order to avoid ruining some nice antique or serviceable modern blade?

Welcome to B&B!

For an inexpensive starter straight, I always recommend buying one off of the BST here, or look at www.whippeddog.com. Larry is a member here, and a heck of a nice guy to deal with. I bought my first straight from him and it is still in my rotation.

Welcome to B&B! Several excellent suggestions on straights have been given. I would suggest getting a straight that is honed by a reputable honemeister so that you will have a good base line with which to compare future blades and their edges.

Top Bottom