What's new

another one bites the dust

and succumbs to obsessive lurking on nerdy shaving forums, late nights reading brush reviews, searching for deals on soaps and creams, watching mantic videos on youtube, and general shavegeekery.

Hi, my name is Jack, and I'm now obsessed with wetshaving. I'm 29, and I'm public-service lawyer (re:still have my soul!) living in NYC. I asked my GF for a DE razor for my birthday, and she totally nailed it and got me a sweet late 40's superspeed. I researched a bit and chose to go with Derby blades for my initial month-long "same razor, same blades, same soap, same brush" period. I'm really happy with the razor and haven't had any qualms with the blades.

As for the first brush, I ordered I thought was a C&E pure badger brush off ebay, but it turned out it was a C&E pure bristle, i.e. Boar. (The auction accurately described it as a C&E "pure bristle," and I made the mistake of assuming that it was a pure badger because C&E doesn't seem to sell a boar brush anymore.) The brush still seems nice, and I'm sure I'll appreciate having it around later, but I'm now awaiting the arrival of a Wee Scot. I've got to say, though, face-lathering with that boar brush and the arko stick feels pretty great, although I am not getting a thick lather yet. All in due time...

Admittedly it's been tough/impossible to stick with the same soap. I started with an arko shave stick, then made the mistake of checking out Pasteur's on the upper east side. Needless to say, I had to get SOMETHING, and I restrained myself to walk out only $11 lighter, with two pucks of TOBS: avocado and jojoba. I tried the avocado out of sheer curiosity, and the difference in terms of ease of building the lather was huge. Still had an issue in terms of the quality/thickness of the lather. That one was pretty airy/foamy, although there was Lots of it. This is probably why so many people recommend sticking to one combo initially...

Anyway, I'm rambling already. Just wanted to introduce myself, and say thanks for this wealth of information.

Cheers!

Jack.

You've got great gear. If you like rich lather then you can't go wrong with Tabac shaving soap, or Irish Moos shave stick. I'd certainly get a blade sampler that has Personna (Red Pack), Astra SP and Feather blades.

Welcome to B&B!

Welcome to B&B Jack :thumbup1:,

Your GF seems to be a keeper, especially if was able to nail the DE for you...that means she's been paying attention

What you have is great, but AD will start setting in as far as brush, cremes/soaps, etc...then, the fun will begin.:lol:

Welcome to B&B. It looks like you've already got some healthy ADs, so you're in the right place. SPEND, SPEND, SPEND!!!

Happy to welcome another victim. Welcome to the Badgers' Den! Careful, as you have already found, sometimes he bites - in your case, by displaying a varied stash of treasure for you to enjoy!

Welcome to B&B, Jack. My advice to you is if to stay away from Pasteur's pharmacy. Every time I get back to NYC to visit my son I go there and regret it. I become like a kid in a candy store. Wish we had something like that down here. :blush:

Welcome to B&B!

Wish you had come to the meet up last night!

I was just at Pasteur's on 34th Street, and am amazed you got two pucks of TOBS for $11! :thumbup1:

Since I ran out of the St. James shave cream, I had to get another tub, and that set me back $14, plus the insidious sales tax.

I take it you haven't discovered Cambridge Chemists, near the uptown Pasteur's, or the CO Bigelow on 6th Ave between 8th and 9th?

Welcome to the B&B. Glad to see you still have a soul. That's probably why you are gravitating towards wet shaving from cartridge/canned product systems. :001_rolle

Top Bottom