What's new

Heading to Richmond, VA

I didn't know where to put this, so I chose the Speakeasy. I'll be in Richmond, VA, all next week on business, downtown area. Just wondered if anyone had recommendations for restaurants, places selling shaving supplies, or about other pursuits popular on B&B.

Maybe B&B needs a travel section?

I think there's a Ruth's Chris on Broad St. Hit it and hit it hard.

It's worth noting that while Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is amazing tasting, it's also quite expensive. This is not a place to go if you're looking to save cash. I don't believe they've got a dress code, but most people wear semi-formal stuff there as well.

The Tobacco Company on 12th and Cary for a good meal and there's a Brittish Pub, Penny Lane Pub at 421 E. Franklin. Take a walk down in the Shocko Slip area (the Historic District) and you'll find many other very good restaurants. Shocko is not to far from downtown either, well within walking distance. For some Civil War history, take a look at the Treadaway Iron Works, they supplied munitions to the Confederacy and is very interesting. Have a ball, Richmond is a fabulous city.

I didn't know where to put this, so I chose the Speakeasy. I'll be in Richmond, VA, all next week on business, downtown area. Just wondered if anyone had recommendations for restaurants, places selling shaving supplies, or about other pursuits popular on B&B.

Just wondering if you found any gems on your visit to Richmond? Please pass along so others may enjoy your good fortune.

Well, I didn't find any good shaving stores. There was a place on Cary Street in the Shockoe Bottom area called "Razors". Purportedly, they carry shaving supplies.

They did have about 5 straights on the shelf, a fairly large selection of J. Crew products (mostly not wet shaving stuff, though). There was one container of Col. Conk's soap on the shelf. No DE's, no brushes, no blades. I think the straights were more for decoration. There were a couple of fellows getting haircuts. The "ladies" at the counter were full of tattoos and facial piercings, which doesn't turn me on much. Saw one metrosexual dude with a choppy looking haircut doing something.

Here's their website:

http://www.razorsontheweb.com/

They advertise straight razor shaves on their services page.

Did visit the Penny Lane Pub. Very English oriented, perhaps overdone. Euro football on all the TV's, Stones and Beatles only being played. Polite service, but really I think this is a place where you only get true friendly service when you're a 'regular'. Drank a couple of beers.

The only other restaurant in which I actually ate was the Capital Ale House. Lots of beers on tap, including cask conditioned ales. Good beer, but over priced based on my experience. Had a brat/kielbasa platter which was ok. Sausage was good, but the kraut and red cabbage was only average. Mustard served with it was mediocre. I'm a foody though, so take that FWIW.

I looked for a tobacco shop, but only found cigarette stores, no pipes/pipe tobacco except for drug store types.

For history, saw St. John's Church, where Patrick Henry gave his "Give me liberty or give me death." speech. Great view of the city from the church hill. Saw the state capitol, Washington's statues (including the only one for which he actually posed), governor's mansion. The old city hall is a really interesting building. Strolled through the Shockoe Bottom. Went by the Poe Museum, but I'm not a big Poe fan, so I just looked around a bit and moved on. There's supposed to be a big farmer's market, but there was only one fellow there. I guess it's late in the season. Chatted with him a bit though. Lots of little restaurants and shops, eclectic/trendy. Didn't get to the Hollywood Cemetery or any of the confederate sites.

People were very friendly, southern type of friendly. Overall, it's nice to say I've been to Richmond, but I doubt I'd plan a specific vacation there. Much of my stay I was confined to a hotel/Greater Richmond Convention Center for lots of seminars, etc. This area of town is up the hill, so to speak, from the real downtown Richmond/Shockoe bottom area. On the edge of ghetto/homeless territory. There were plenty of rough looking individuals milling around, and I don't think it was safe to venture very far away from my hotel/conference center after dark.

Oh, by the way, just looking back before I posted. There isn't a Ruth's Chris on Broad Street. My hotel was on Broad Street, and I did look to see if there was Ruth's Chris. It seems it must be out in the country club area of town. Anyway, there's my story.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

DeusVult:
Check out this Official Richmond, VA Travel Link :001_rolle

http://www.visitrichmondva.com/?src=ppc_goo_richtourism_local&s_kwcid=TC|19300|richmond%20tourism||S||6117666973&gclid=CO2KrZ_y_6QCFQY65Qodfi1IhA

Christopher :badger:

Top Bottom