What's new

Score! Cobra-skin razor case, custom made

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Here are pics of a bespoke razor case, made for me by Mr. Babul Des of Chittagong, Bangladesh. The covering is cobra skin and it holds 7 razors. The razor case, two pairs of cobra skin sandals (also made to order) and a python skin belt cost me $100. No, I am not selling! Just showing off.

The harbor at Chittagong is too shallow for my ship, so we laid at anchor 20 miles out, and discharged 35,000 tons of grain into lighters. The process took better than a week, and the Bangladeshi stevedores basically camped on our stern, setting up makeshift awnings for shelter and cooking vegetables, rice, and live chickens that they brought with them on the stern. Within two hours, they had a little slum set up, with all the comforts of home, assuming your real home is a slum, too. Among the stevedores were several guys who set up shop selling all sorts of crap, and a couple of craftsmen making custom tool and radio pouches, shoes, etc. In addition to the items I had made by Mr. Des, I snagged a half dozen cobra skin handbags, most with the snake head on them, as gifts for GFs and exes, and a few other miscellaneous items, but I am particularly pleased with the one-of-a-kind razor case. One guy offered me a complete python skin, about 22 or 23 feet long, for $400, and I suspect I could have had it for half of that, but frankly I could not see any immediate use for it, so I let it go.

In the first pic, Mr. Des is hard at work on the project. The next two pics are obviously the case, open with razors, and closed.

Score? Anybody jealous?

Next time I am there, I think I will have some single razor cases made out of the same material, and maybe a couple of hookah hoses. I may post a few more pics of the Bangladeshi encampment on our stern in another thread in a few days. As I write this, I am in Dubai, looking for some more unique scores. Meanwhile, the case hangs next to my sink and is in regular use.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Great anecdote and a beautiful case.
I have to admit though, that this is the sentence that stuck in my mind, sailor. :lol:

Well, since I neither have, nor want, any BFs, I give gifts to GFs. And exes. Take care of the exes and they take care of you.

Great story Slash.

These reminded me of something similar I used to get in Korea.

There they used eel skins to make wallets, shoes, belts, etc.

Very soft and supple and a nice brown color, but a bit susceptible to rips and tears.

Very interesting.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
No pictures of the straights in the case?! :biggrin:

Nice pouch!

Well, since I neither have, nor want, any BFs, I give gifts to GFs. And exes. Take care of the exes and they take care of you.

I think Greybeard may have been focusing on the plural -- GFs, not GF. Do they know about each other?

Great looking case, and a great story to go with it...

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
No pictures of the straights in the case?! :biggrin:

Nice pouch!

I will post pics of the razors if you like in a day or two. I am surfing on my iPhone at the moment. None are particular standouts except maybe the Boker Cupid.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
By request: Here are the razors. First pic is all 7. The top 4 are all Allens and all from 7 day sets, (the day of the week is engraved on the spine) but not from the same original set, obviously. Then you have the Boker Cupid which is one of my favorites, then an interesting Sears Roebuck razor with plastic or celluloid tang... apparently a very cheap razor but it does shave nice, takes and keeps a good edge. The bottom one in the pic of all 7 is a Shur-Edge and also does a nice job. Note the short bladed razor in the full size scales... probably got badly nicked and cutting off the offending part was the fix for it.

Closeups are the Cupid and the Sears.

That is crazy unique. Just this week I was browsing looking for one and suddenly cow hide sounds so typical. Congrats. Have you posted pics of the other items? Maybe in the haberdashery?

Top Bottom