What's new

2nd Razor suggestion

First thanks to everyone who told me not to give up on my Futur. I'm really enjoying it now and getting great shaves. I leave it set on 2.0. Maybe I'll dail it up SLOWLY in the near future.

I gave my old (3 months) Parker (and several different blades) to a friend who said he started using a brush instead gel. He's going to start DE shaving!!!

Well now I need a back-up/spare/second razor. I was thinking of the Merkur HD since the Futur can get aggressive when I'm ready but I have read the reviews for the 11C & 12C and they very intriging. What's your thought?

Thanks

I have a Merkur 15C which has the same head as the 11C, 12C and 1904 Classic Open Comb. I personally love the razor as it gets those stubborn neck hairs that my other DEs just seem to glide over. I doubt you'd be disappointed with anyone of these models. :001_smile

How about a Muhle R89 for a different flavor? It's the same head as the Edwin Jagger 89L but with (IMHO) a nicer handle. It's probably my favorite current-production razor. I wouldn't be surprised if it became your primary shaver!

Now, if you don't mind vintage, and you want the ultimate in safety razor shaving closeness (yes, I'm shamelessly biased :thumbup:), join the wild side and get an old Gem or Ever Ready SE. The older the better, cause these things were at the pinnacle of effectiveness and comfort at the turn of the century!

I'll place my vote for a vintage Gillette Red Tip. I got a 1956 red tip on the bay for $10 + shipping, and it's been the best purchase of my wet shaving career thus far!

How about a Muhle R89 for a different flavor? It's the same head as the Edwin Jagger 89L but with (IMHO) a nicer handle. It's probably my favorite current-production razor. I wouldn't be surprised if it became your primary shaver!

+1 on the EJ...love my 89L.

I love my Futur but I found my 39C slant razor to be great as well. I would consider a slant razor as a second razor to compliment your Futur.

You can't go wrong with any of these choices:

Edwin Jagger DE 89L - I think it is a mild razor, but very nice. I use it with a very sharp blade for excellent results.

Merkur Barber Pole Slant - Whiskers cower in fear before the might Sledgehammer Slant. I always get a great, long lasting shave from mine.

Merkur Barber Pole Open Comb - Really, this is almost as effective as the Slant.

You might also want to consider a vintage GEM or similar Single Edge Razor. You should start with the 1912 or Damaskeene model, the "Bullet Point" MicroMatic, or a later model like the G Bar or Contour. These are inexpensive, outstanding shavers. Blades should be available from major pharmacies and groceries, just stay away from the "Blue Star" blades.

If you're bored, you may want to check this thread out: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155335

I ordered the Edwin Jagger DE 89L today from West Coast Shaving. I can't wait till next week.

M

magelsen

1930' Gillette NEW OC (my preference long tooth). Bar handle version in great shape can be easily had for less than $15 on ebay. BEST RECOMMENDATION, DON'T DO IT. NEXT TIME YOU COUNT YOU WILL HAVE 20 RAZORS.

Top Bottom