What's new

Slim settings: Do you change during a shave?

So I recently decided to try the slim I have (been using a 58 SS) to see if I could get a bit more reduction during the first WTG pass. I have been shaving all three passes/directions on a 5 but was curious if others use the same setting the whole way or change it up. And what would be the advantages/disadvantages of each.

The only time I'll change it during shaving is if I have let the hair on my face grow for a bit (being a high setting for the first pass, then lower it for the passes after.) If I'm shaving everyday I'll keep it on the same setting.

I keep mine on 5 the whole time.

At first I used to dial it down for the atg, but it doesn't really seem to make a difference.

Maybe it's just me, but the differences between 1-4 are almost negligible. At 6-9 though it does seem to drastically change the shave, but those numbers are too much for me.

I change it between passes each and every day.

I do my first pass on 4 (if using a Kai or Feather blade) or maybe 6 (if using a less-sharp blade such as a Souplex), and then I do my second pass on 3.

Lately I have been doing clean-ups with the thing on 2. Virtually impossible to cut or irritate yourself, yet efficient at removing stubborn stubble in densely-stubbled areas.

So, yeah, I change it not once, but TWICE is every shave.

And I love it. The Slim is a great razor.:thumbup1:

I change all of my adjustables during the shave. For the slim I do my first pass at 6, the second and third XTG passes at 9 (except for the neck which is as 7), and the last ATG pass at 9 except for the neck which is 7 or 8 depending on how much I need to take off.

I have a very coarse beard and the best thing I've done with my Slim is to change the setting from 5 to 9. The shaves have become easier and it takes me less time because on 9 I use a shallower angle and longer strokes. I also don't have to rinse the razor as much during the shave. I just let the weight of the razor do the work.
In the past I've experimented with changing the settings(low to high and high to low) and I didn't notice any improvement.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
There are no real disadvantages of changing the setting other that it can be too aggressive for you. If 5 is good, I would suggest going +/- 1 setting and see the difference. Sometimes, milder give smoother results.

Legion

Staff member
I leave adjustables on one setting for the whole shave. Which eventually made me wonder why I was bothering with adjustables....

I used to change mine between passes, but now I just leave both my Fat Boy and my Slim on 7...

It does kind of make you wonder why you have an adjustable, doesn't it?:001_smile

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
There are no real disadvantages of changing the setting other that it can be too aggressive for you. If 5 is good, I would suggest going +/- 1 setting and see the difference. Sometimes, milder give smoother results.

5 is where I have found to achieve my best results with a Feather or Crystal. I can just leave it there for a 3 pass shave. Other blades I have to dial up and down for different passes. I asked a lot of questions and got some great advice when I 1st got mine, but I still had to learn what to do with it given the blade used. Your face will tell you.:w00t:

I have easily irritated skin and 7 seems to be the magic mark. Anything on the milder spectrum and I have to reach for big gun (isopropyl) to kill all the redness.

I generally shave my face on a higher setting, but when shaving my neck, I usually have to dial it down to a very low setting, usually around 2-3, or else I get a bit of irritation.

Top Bottom