What's new

Iridiums & Blood

So here's my daily process and then my results.

I take a hot shower...put my face under the shower head for a few and then throw on a little conditioner to lube and prep my face. Get out of the shower. Dry off. Bowl lather some proraso sensative skin from the tub to a perfect lather(love me some proraso) apply lather to face for probably 20-30 seconds then begin the shave WTG. Then XTG then XTG the other way then ATG. Always re-lathering before each pass. After four passes with Iridiums and a 67 Gillette SS I'm always left bleedin...always! Now, if I don't apply any pressure I don't get a BBS...if I do I get hamburger meat...that's smooth:bored:.

I need help! I've actually considered going back to the M3 because I can't hack the razor burn and blood anymore. I moved back to my red packs which means no blood...and no bbs. I want me some BBS-ness!!! Any ideas? Tips????!!!

Help...before I bail!!!:blink:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I wouldn't dry my face when stepping out of the shower unless you mean drying everything except the face.

Are you sure that your lather is slick enough?

The Gillette SS might be too much, I would recommend trying a tech but at this stage, before changing razor, try a different blade. do you have a razor blade sample pack?

Make sure you don't apply any pressure at any time. Also, keep in mind that if you try too hard for a BBS, you will most likely get irritation. Try to limit yourself to 3 passes max.

I didn't like Iridiums all that much but really like the Astra SP blades.

I agree, slick lather, good blades, no pressure. :thumbup:

I use Iridiums in my 40s SS. My procedure is put brush and bowl in hot water in the sink. Shower and dry off (including face at this point). Shake/wring water from brush and charge with either soap or cream. Wet face with hot water. Face lather. Shave WTG, then ATG, then XTG in the chin area as necessary with no pressure - only weight of the razor. No blood and a DFS (BBS sometimes). Occasionally I do get a nick, almost always because I am not careful enough with the blade angle when first touching my lip area with the razor - the lower lip is where I start shaving first - habit.

Your angle could be slightly off or the Superspeed may not be aggressive enough for you if you have to use pressure to shave close with an Iridium.
An Iridium is a sharp enough blade that you should be able to get a BBS shave without bloodshed, although possibly some irritation, using almost no pressure.

A Superspeed is not aggressive enough for me to get a BBS without using some pressure.

You could try switching to a Red Tip Superspeed, a Slim Adjustable set on 4 or higher or a NEW, which all shave closer than a 40's Superspeed or a Tech for me.

Changing blade may help...but you may also want to just do a 2 pass with clean up. It will not be BBS but very acceptable. Another thing you may want to consider...is your cream. Your skin may not like it even though you do. You may not get a reaction to you cream at first...but by pass 2.5 or 3 or more you have now exfoliated your skin to a point where the cream is adding irritation.

Just my .02

What others have said, also try slicker soap. I don't like proraso, I know everyone here does, but it's not slick enough for me. Stop doing ATG pass until you get things right with the others.

Have you mapped out the growth of your beard? Also try cold water shaving, it changed the way I shave, now I get 0 irritation and very close shaves. There's a thread about it floating around here. I say hot water etc is bunk!

I echo the Red IPs recommendation...

Feathers would tear up my face, now I love them..but this is after almost two years of working on my technique.

Iridiums are one of the best, I enjoy them more than feathers and equally if not better than Red IP! If you heat up your skin right before shaving, more length of your beard hairs will be showing. Shave without over doing it and when done, cool down your skin and your pours will close along with bringing the hairs back in, and if done right you'll have a BBS. Baby steps, until it works out!

(...) then begin the shave WTG. Then XTG then XTG the other way then ATG (...)

4 passes seem a lot to me.
Try to do only 2 or 3 passes.

For a long time, I did 3 passes but nowadays I reduced to 2 passes (XTG and ATG) by suppressing the initial WTG and found it much better. The quality of my shave remains the same and the irritation I felt sometimes disappeared definitely.

SNow, if I don't apply any pressure I don't get a BBS...if I do I get hamburger meat...that's smooth:bored:.

Iridiums + pressure = hurt. I found that out the hard way.

It's possible that you're actually looking for Feathers (since that's one of the few blades sharper than an Iridium), or maybe you're needing to do another pass & touch-up work. But the pressure is your problem, I guarantee it...I've done the exact same thing with Iridiums.

It is also very difficult for me to have no blood at all after a 3 pass shave with my fatboy. But I have to say that when I use the Super Irridiums in my Feather popular razor they become much better and I get none or close to none blood.

I am sorry to hear that. Iridium Supers are my favorite blade and I have used them in '49 SS, Merkur 38C HD, '72 Super Adjustable, Merkur 39C Slant all with outstanding results and consistent BBS and DFS shaves.

Blades can be finicky with different faces and beards....maybe Iridiums just aren't for you. Try getting a Sample Pack of blades and try out many different kinds until you find the one that works for you. BullGooseshaving.net sells really good samplers.

Good luck and don't give up on wet shaving. :thumbup:

While Iridiums are more forgiving than Feathers, they are still sharp and need a light touch when being used. Follow the advice in this thread and be conscious of the pressure you apply when shaving.

Top Bottom