What's new

Filet O' Neck

After getting some good advice (getting away from electric razors and Mach 3) from a a co-worker I decided that I would plunge into the world of DE. I ordered a Merkur 33c, a pack of Derby's and one of Astras. I also picked up some other shaving necessities (some Kiss My Face shave Cream, a brush, and a syptic pencil). My friend even gave me a couple tucks of Sharks and Bluebirds. I WAS READY AND EXCITED.
After reading the instructions and looking at different forums I knew the basics or no added pressure and basically how to find the correct angle. I was off! I was surprised how little effort was required and how good it felt with a sharp blade. After one WTG pass on my face it was nearly BBS. I don't have a heavy beard at all so I didn't need much more, but I did another WTG and it was BBS my first go. :thumbup: I had one small weeper, but I think that was due to a small zit.
My neck on the other hand was a different story. This is where I need some advice. My neck hair grows from left to right, so shaving up and down is XTG. I did one pass like that and probably used too much pressure and it did not go so well. It was smooth enough, but I had a large amount of irritation and a few nicks. I don't have any issues with the jawline since you just have to open your mouth to help, just the neck so far. So what is the easiest was to shave your neck? Does anyone else have hair that grows from left to right?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

The neck was quite a challenge in my case as I have a corn crop growing in circles. I'm getting the hang of it, it's not perfect everyday but it's getting there. You seem to have a good start!

My hair kind of grows similar to yours, what I do is shave on a diagonal down and then up. Since it is pretty difficult for me to shave WTG on the neck, which would be from left to right.

Yeah...the neck is quit the challenge to be frank. You can't skip the basics here. First, I'm gonna recommend watching mantic59 on youtube. Just search for that username and you'll find him...he'll answer LOTS of your questions. Second, with the neck...pressure is a BIG deal. If you've shaved with an M3 you may have developed bad technique...particularly in how hard you press down. This...my friend...is death to the neck. You have to let the blade do the work...I'm still struggling with this...after a year of almost daily shaving. It's not an easy habit to break. Don't...press...down! Third, your prep(hot shower and a little hair conditioner of your choice put your face under the shower head...let it open to pores and break down the hair...give it a few minutes while under there) and soap/cream is important...literally can make a shave go from a 5 on a scale of 1-10 to 8 or better. In actuality VDH deluxe (cheap-o stuff from wally world) and a few drops of glycerin can give a decent shave if lathered correctly. Finally, give yourself time and allow mistakes...it's part of the process of becoming the DE expert your destined to be!

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B!

You have excellent advice already. Be sure to map out your stubble - WTG may not be what you think it is. Use a light touch, and keep your wrist locked. For myself, I can't go ATG in some spots. Those have to get by with XTG passes.

Welcome aboard...it'll take time and you'll have to unlearn a lot of those cartridge habits but it will come. Remember you could always go with the DE for your first pass and then touch up with a cart until you get the hang of it.

Before putting the razor to your face you should map the grain on your face so you know which way the grain of your beard grows. You can use http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1168/919589791_d3bf0522a0_o.jpg as a guide. The first pass should be with the grain, whichever direction that is, with subsequent passes across the grain. Initially, until your technique is good, against the grain passes should be avoided.

There are certain areas of the face that are hard to shave: the mustache, chin, and neck. Often it is on those areas that blade angle and no pressure seem to be an issue since it as awkward shaving there. The video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO2gMTNnyYk again deals with shaving in these problem areas.

Keep at it.

Thanks for the comments. I did watch some of the videos that he had posted and they helped out a lot. I still have a lot to learn and only time will help in some instances. I don't have to shave every day, so tonight was the second try. It was much better. I slowed down and paid closer attention to what was going on with the blade and how my skin was responding to it. My face is BBS again and feels great. My neck has some irritation, some I am sure was left over was the last shave and some was new. If I was able to do a third pass on my neck it would be BBS, but more technique and time I will get to that. Thank you for the help everyone.

What I did differently:
-Slow down
-Take note of what was happening
-Get a better lather
-Use even less pressure

Still need to work on:
-Getting a better lather
-Using less pressure
-Unlearning bad habits

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for the comments. I did watch some of the videos that he had posted and they helped out a lot. I still have a lot to learn and only time will help in some instances. I don't have to shave every day, so tonight was the second try. It was much better. I slowed down and paid closer attention to what was going on with the blade and how my skin was responding to it. My face is BBS again and feels great. My neck has some irritation, some I am sure was left over was the last shave and some was new. If I was able to do a third pass on my neck it would be BBS, but more technique and time I will get to that. Thank you for the help everyone.

What I did differently:
-Slow down
-Get a better lather
-Use even less pressure

Still need to work on:
-Getting a better lather
-Using less pressure
-Unlearning bad habits

You're on the right track! :thumbup1:

What I did differently:
-Slow down
-Get a better lather
-Use even less pressure

Still need to work on:
-Getting a better lather
-Using less pressure
-Unlearning bad habits

Luc is right. Being mindful of what you are doing will help you get in the groove.

Welcome to B & B and good luck.

The neck is probably the trickiest part to shave. Here's what works for me:

• Short strokes. Shave like you're taking little nibbles of your neck hair.
  • Shave from right to left or left to right. This takes off a lot of hair sometimes.
  • Don't be afraid to pull your skin on your neck and shave. I lay the back of my forefinger on my chin and push up, which moves the hair away from my adam's apple.
  • Make your neck fat like a bullfrog by pushing your chin back and down and try shaving that at some point. I find that makes the hair stand up.

Top Bottom