What's new

Gillette Sensor or Sensor Excel?

So P&G sent me a coupon for a free Sensor razor after I asked them about a possible new DE razor. I plan on picking it up for a travel razor, why not, it's free. They said they recommended the Sensor Excel. But I'm not keen on taking advice from Gillette so what do you think... Which is better, the Sensor or Sensor Excel? Is the only difference the rubber stip or is there more of a difference?

As far as I know, the rubber strip is the only difference. Go with the Sensor carts as they are probably cheaper, and will do the same thing.

Plain old Sensor is my choice.
Those rubber fins on the Excel are too weird for me and don't seem to do anything.

Ahhh! 50/50 split. You guys are no help! :lol:

I guess I will just have to see what is available. I know last time I looked, they had the Excel, not sure if they had the plain Sensor though. As far as I'm aware, the heads are interchangeable, so I can always try both carts and see what I like best.

Ahhh! 50/50 split. You guys are no help! :lol:

I guess I will just have to see what is available. I know last time I looked, they had the Excel, not sure if they had the plain Sensor though. As far as I'm aware, the heads are interchangeable, so I can always try both carts and see what I like best.

I dont know for US but here in Canada the only Sensor available are the Excel and they are made in Brazil.
In fact all the Sensor line from Gillette is now made in Brazil, even the disposable ones.
But you can always buy the original Sensor blades in most store.

After almost a year of DE I took my old favorite, a Sensor Excel, on a recent trip and it tore my face up. I no longer consider my Sensor a possible backup. From here on out, it's DE or nothing.

As far as I'm aware, the heads are interchangeable, so I can always try both carts and see what I like best.

Correct the differences between a Sensor, and Sensor Excel handle are just pure aesthetics. The method of attaching the cartridge is identical. :thumbup1:

Thanks all, just got back from getting my razor. Only one available (at that store) was the Excel. Oh well, can't complain about a free razor (after all, I haven't used it yet!) And leave it to those marketing geeks at Gillette to push the multi blades on you. The razors all come with 2 carts standard. The sensor excel has a bonus cart (2+1) and that bonus cart is an Excel3, the three bladed of the Sensor. And guess where that bonus cart is??? Yep, installed on the handle, so it is the first one you use.

Just read on another forum that the Excel is the most expensive cartridge produced. Is that correct?

Not sure where that came from. The carts for the Excel would run me about $8-9 for 5, or a little cheaper if I get 10 (if I decide to get more of them). The Mach3 and Fusion carts cost much more than that. The sensor excel is about the cheapest geniune Gillette cart you can buy. If you can find regular Sensor or Atra, they are cheaper, but harder to find.

Last edited:
I like the Excel. Of course, those are the only Sensor carts I ever see in the stores I frequent, so I kind of pick the Excel by default. I'd avoid the Sensor 3 though; while I got close shaves from the three-bladed version, I also received a couple of ingrowns and the shaves just weren't all that comfortable.

Top Bottom