What's new

Talcum Powder Without Menthol?

Hey chaps. I tried some talcum powder for the first time this week. It was a dollar store knockoff of Gold Bond body powder. I did not realise these were so heavily mentholated. They say medicated on the label but it means menthol. I am iffy with big menthol content anyway and this stuff actually burned me a bit after application! This is not exactly comfortable on the areas this stuff is normally used at if you get the drift. It did not last a long time but it is uncomfortable enough to make me NOT want it.

So, does Borotalco have menthol? This was my next step but I really don't want it if it is mentholated. Any other suggestions? BTW, I like the feel of the talc and intend to use it more. Just non mentholated.

Regards, Todd

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hey chaps. I tried some talcum powder for the first time this week. It was a dollar store knockoff of Gold Bond body powder. I did not realise these were so heavily mentholated. They say medicated on the label but it means menthol. I am iffy with big menthol content anyway and this stuff actually burned me a bit after application! This is not exactly comfortable on the areas this stuff is normally used at if you get the drift. It did not last a long time but it is uncomfortable enough to make me NOT want it.

So, does Borotalco have menthol? This was my next step but I really don't want it if it is mentholated. Any other suggestions? BTW, I like the feel of the talc and intend to use it more. Just non mentholated.

Regards, Todd

I use Clubman Talc that I get from Sally Beauty Supply. No menthol and smells similar to Clubman, but isn't overpowering.

Todd,

I enjoy Clubman talc, which as luvmysuper said is available at Sally Beauty Supply and also CVS here. Other than that, I've recently seen several tins of Taylor of London Lavender talc at the local TJ Maxx. Haven't managed to buy any, but they do smell nice and IIRC they're about $5. They're in the soap section and you may have to hunt for them a bit on the shelves, but I'm sure there are still some tins left.

If nothing else, my standby is good ole' baby powder. Mild scent and dirt cheap, especially the store brand versions. Just make sure to get the 'real' stuff with talc instead of the cornstarch version that's popular these days.

Well Kyle I will have to look at those TOL talcs. If the lavender is not feminine I will probably get one. Five dollars is dirt cheap. Baby powder scent and me just don't get on too well.

BTW, do not forget the Sunflower Showdown tomorrow night.

Regards, Todd

I prefer non-talc body powders. I actually use generic baby powder with a bit of baking soda mixed in, as it is cheap and effective. My next bottle of powder will be Gold Bond Ultimate Comfort, though, because it already has corn-starch and baking soda (my current mix), but also has a bunch of goodies like aloe vera, lavender, chamomile, and rosemary (it also has no menthol by the way).

Usually the cooling talcum powders have zinc oxide in them. That's what gives off the cooling effect. If you think you're man enough, try the green bottle Gold Bond.

Try the Gold Bond Baby Powder.. I had the 'burns' with the standard gold and green bottles but the baby powder is great.

Top Bottom