What's new

What does Ylang Ylang smell like?

This title pretty much says it all.
It catches my attention every time I go to MB's site.

Does it compare to anything? I know scents can be hard to explain.

Dusty,

The Wikipedia definition nails it down pretty good. The ".. exceptionally delicate scent" is one that I would agree with. I don't want to downplay how good it smells... only that it isn't overwhelming in the least.

My first two Mama Bear soaps were "Mysore Sandalwood" and "Ylang-Ylang". I have since purchased more soaps from Mama Bear, but both of them remain at the top of my favorites list.

Go for it! You won't be disappointed! :thumbup1:

Tchau,
chop-chop

I did look it up in Wiki and read about it on Mama Bear's site, I was just hoping someone could explain it in more practical terms. I can be pretty naive about specific scents/notes/colognes/etc.

Is it mascualine or more feminine or pretty unisex?
Like I said, I always noticed the shaving soap and now that MB offers the summer a/s milk in any of the scents, it really has opened up the floodgates for a/s scents.

I did look it up in Wiki and read about it on Mama Bear's site, I was just hoping someone could explain it in more practical terms. I can be pretty naive about specific scents/notes/colognes/etc.

Is it mascualine or more feminine or pretty unisex?
Like I said, I always noticed the shaving soap and now that MB offers the summer a/s milk in any of the scents, it really has opened up the floodgates for a/s scents.

The ylang ylang I smelled has kind of a rose quality to it, it was very rich and maybe some frankensence and mehr as well. Personally I would classify it as a feminine smell, but this is only my opinion.

"The fragrance of ylang-ylang is rich and deep with notes of rubber and custard"
:confused:
Hm, I guess I'll have to actually smell it before I can be certain if it's for me or not.

I don't know if the scent you are referring to is a fragrance oil or an essential oil. I only have the Ylang Ylang EO and it is an intensly sweet floral. I have difficulty thinking of it as a manly scent. It can be overwhelming as a single note (think of gardenia, too much and too close) but it blends very well. I personally love Ylang and orange mixed. If it is a fragrance oil disregard what I said as they have a personality of their own.
HTH
J

I don't know if the scent you are referring to is a fragrance oil or an essential oil. I only have the Ylang Ylang EO and it is an intensly sweet floral. I have difficulty thinking of it as a manly scent. It can be overwhelming as a single note (think of gardenia, too much and too close) but it blends very well. I personally love Ylang and orange mixed. If it is a fragrance oil disregard what I said as they have a personality of their own.
HTH
J

Mama Bear Ylang Ylang is all EO.
Maybe it's best suited for the privacy of one's own bathroom during the shave and not so much to wear in public like an a/s could do.

"The fragrance of ylang-ylang is rich and deep with notes of rubber and custard"
:confused:
Hm, I guess I'll have to actually smell it before I can be certain if it's for me or not.

That's exactly what I was thinking - rubber & custard? Goodyear meets Ridder's? :001_unsur

But I know people here use it so I knew I'd get good feedback.

This title pretty much says it all.
It catches my attention every time I go to MB's site.

Does it compare to anything? I know scents can be hard to explain.

Just go to any nature/health food store and smell their essential oils. I'm sure they will have Ylang Ylang.

Just go to any nature/health food store and smell their essential oils. I'm sure they will have Ylang Ylang.

+1. This is the best way to understand any scent, and most health/natural food places have tons of essential oils. It's also a great place to go if you're getting into the world of fragrances, so that you can smell individual notes.

I am probably the biggest ylang ylang fan in the world...... O.K.. at least around here......I am nuts about this stuff......

First .. Recco to try a EO sample at your local vitamin cottage or whole foods is excellent advice........... However...........

To shave w/ MB ylang ylang is.................beyond words..........

I would describe it (ylang ylang) as a delicate, jasmine like (only much more exotic) floral scent that is decidedly masculine while allowing a most seductive feminine allure to leave you absolutely enchanted.

For many more reasons than words can describe.....Ylang Ylang is a must have..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:

I am probably the biggest ylang ylang fan in the world...... O.K.. at least around here......I am nuts about this stuff......

First .. Recco to try a EO sample at your local vitamin cottage or whole foods is excellent advice........... However...........

To shave w/ MB ylang ylang is.................beyond words..........

I would describe it (ylang ylang) as a delicate, jasmine like (only much more exotic) floral scent that is decidedly masculine while allowing a most seductive feminine allure to leave you absolutely enchanted.

For many more reasons than words can describe.....Ylang Ylang is a must have..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:

Ummmm High Plains Drifter... are you single by any chance..... :thumbup1:

damn.... but, yeah, that is pretty much it..... . :tongue_sm

When I smell Ylang Ylang I immediately link of a time in the islands and a particular Pikake Lei.......
The pikake is from the jasmine family and has a tiny white ball-like flower which emit a sweet, heavenly fragrance. A lei strung with this fragrant white blossom is believed to be a familiar part of the old courtship ritual and is a sure way to a woman’s heart.

Ylang Ylang is Very much like that..... Just my .02 !!!!

This is a most serious fragrance yet so simple and often overlooked !

enjoy !!!!!

Kevin

+1. This is the best way to understand any scent, and most health/natural food places have tons of essential oils. It's also a great place to go if you're getting into the world of fragrances, so that you can smell individual notes.

You are so right!! If you find a eo that you like, pick it up... you can add a few drops to any of your grooming products and scent your own! Be very, very careful with eo's tho... you do not want to use too much, when I say a few drops.. I really mean drops... remember, you can always go stronger....

Remember too... colognes are made with the essential oils... if you know what eo's you like it will give you a better handle on what types of colognes you will enjoy also... just by reading the ingredients...

There is nothing like a good eo sniff fest!!! :thumbup1:

You are so right!! If you find a eo that you like, pick it up... you can add a few drops to any of your grooming products and scent your own! Be very, very careful with eo's tho... you do not want to use too much, when I say a few drops.. I really mean drops... remember, you can always go stronger....

Remember too... colognes are made with the essential oils... if you know what eo's you like it will give you a better handle on what types of colognes you will enjoy also... just by reading the ingredients...

There is nothing like a good eo sniff fest!!! :thumbup1:
I dont think YlangYlang smells too good to start ,rubber banana etc but settles down to a super base for me,i dont think its used for its top notes

:a47:
You, sir, just won an award for greatest necromancer on B&B! At just under 10 years you are truly an inspiration to all who would have the last word in a conversation. :lol:

Top Bottom