What's new

Questions regarding Proraso products

New guy to classic wet shaving. I'm interested in efficiency and performance over fancy brands or high-end hobbyist favorites. I want the best product I can get that is still considered economical (I know that's relative) and easy to obtain.

In the past I have had moderate bouts with razor burn, an amount I feel any uneducated shaver would suffer just using McShaving products like Fusion and Goo. I used to feel that I had overly sensitive skin, but these days I don't think that is actually the case as my face hasn't had a break-out or reaction to any of the alcohol-based aftershaves I've used.

I have been reading about Proraso's line of products. I'm curious to find out if they would be a good match for my needs since they don't seem to be too expensive. Does anyone out there share my view that's used it? I'd like to know what you think about them and how your experience was. If I'm convinced I may create an Amazon order with a cream, pre-post shave, and the Aftershave lotion (since fall and winter are next). Thanks in advance, I really like to make educated guesses before ordering anything sizable from online sites.

I use virtually the entire line of Proraso products because they are excellent value for the money. The soap and cream lather very nicely and provide excellent lubricity, the aftershave balm is effective and soothing and I use the pre-shave cream to help prepare my beard. Can you get better products? Yes, but you generally have to spend more money. All-in-all, I highly recommend Proraso as a value product line. Check out the review sections for further comments.

Proraso is good stuff. I have sensitive skin and have been known to get razor burn. Proraso is good performing stuff. As long as your technique is good it will serve you well.

I'm a newb and I'm a Proraso fan. Now that the weather's getting cooler, the menthol/eucalyptus rush is getting to be a bit much for my taste. It will definitely be a warm weather staple, for sure. Inexpensive, too.

Proraso = win

I am generally a soap guy, but Proraso (actually CO Bigalow as they are identical) is one of the few creams that earned a place in my rotation. That inclusion is irregardless of price too, so the fact that it is on the lower end of the price spectrum is an added bonus. I admit I go back and forth on the cent, but I like it more often than I dont like it.

I'm a newb and I'm a Proraso fan. Now that the weather's getting cooler, the menthol/eucalyptus rush is getting to be a bit much for my taste.

There's always the green tea and aloe shave soap and pre/post cream, which have a much milder menthol kick than the standard Proraso line.

Proraso is great stuff, for newbies and everyone else. Good products at good prices. If you're going for extreme value, you can probably do better (Arko, for example). When it comes to economical, though, almost all quality creams and soaps are fairly affordable on a cost per shave basis, except for a few really high-end products. If you use just one shave soap daily until completion, you'll still be shaving for cheap, even if you're using a luxury brand like Trumpers, Harris, T&H, AOS, etc.

You really can't go wrong with Proraso products. And if you don't like it for whatever reason, they will sell within minutes usually here on the BST.

Proraso is awesome. There is a reason they are the most common shave products in Italian barber shops (or whatever claim C.O. Bigelow makes on their tube...I verified it this weekend when 2/2 barber shops I went to in Rome used Proraso somethingorother in their routine). The stuff is not very expensive, lasts a long time, and produces a fantastic lather. I lerv it.

As others have stated, though...make sure you know what you are getting into scent-wise. It is very menthol-ish, and strikes me as simultaneously, very clean and fresh, invigorating, medicinal, old-man-ish, and barbershop. The menthol kick can be a bit much for cold weather...I am intrigued by the green tea and aloe version now. I will try it, but I should wait until next year. I have a pretty full cupboard right now (by my standards, at least!).

In short, as long as you like the scent, I don't think you can be disappointed by Proraso products!

GS

I have a tub of Proraso. It is an excellent performing soap. Personally, I can't warm up to the menthol feeling on my face.

You can't loose with proraso. It's like asking if water is better for you than pop. For real...anyone that's used proraso(that I know of) loves it! I use the sensitive skin tub(white tub)...amazing! This lathers great every time...and the times I haven't lathered it well, were still better than an average soap. The one thing you mentioned, about razor burn, is the one thing I guarantee you will benefit from proraso. It's lagit! Here's the B&B review on the green & white tub. The white gets substantially better reviews fyi:).

green: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2477421#post2477421

white: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27633

Last edited:
Top Bottom