What's new

How do Ever Ready 1924 Flip Top Razors shave?

Like the title asks, how do they shave? I'm interested in getting one of these but would like some input first. Thanks

I've had one for a number of years now and for some reason it sat in a box until last week. I have one word to say about the shovel-head: Wow.

I now have some wasted years to catch up on. The 1924 ER front-hinged shovel-head is magnificent.

By way of context: I like the 1912 a great deal, but I am beginning to think I like the shovel-head more. The shovel-head provides a very close but not overly aggressive shave. My other go-to ER is a slimline which I find a bit more aggressive than a 1912.

Last edited:
I've had one for a number of years now and for some reason it sat in a box until last week. I have one word to say about the shovel-head: Wow.

I now have some wasted years to catch up on. The 1924 ER front-hinged shovel-head is magnificent.

By way of context: I like the 1912 a great deal, but I am beginning to think I like the shovel-head more. The shovel-head provides a very close but not overly aggressive shave. My other go-to ER is a slimline which I find a bit more aggressive than a 1912.

I agree completely on its magnificence and on the level of aggression.

I just purchased one on the bay for $7. It appears to be in good condition with just a little plate loss on the head. Looking forward to getting and shaving with it.

I just purchased one on the bay for $7. It appears to be in good condition with just a little plate loss on the head. Looking forward to getting and shaving with it.

Watch when you open it to remove the blade. It has a tendency to fly out and ricochet around the bathroom if you just pop the door open.

The '24 ER is a very under appreciated razor.

I have been using a '24 ER razor the last few days. I really like it I find it to be a bit aggressive, but not that bad. I am thinking that I may like it better than the 1912.

I'm glad to hear all the good words about this razor. I got one a week or so ago by accident and haven't tried it yet. It was half of a $5 auction and was only listed as "unmarked razor". I guess they couldn't figure out how to open it. No brassing anywhere I can find. I'll have to give it a try soon and see how it compares to my GEM's.

Not a fan. The 1912 is a lot easier to use, and if you wanted more aggressive, the MM is better. I guess "awkward" is the best term to describe it. The 1912 is simplicity, the MM is rewarding when learnt, the 1924 is...

edit: it's worth a try though. I much prefer the 1907 lather catcher, damaskeene 1912 and MM clog-pruf, or even the 1914. The 1924 is my least used SE

Last edited:
I found it to be too mild for my taste, but I like the elaborate handle! The head is a bit tricky to deal with, as Tom points out.

I felt like my face was being torture by it. I used it twice it is setting in it's case at the moment has been there a few weeks until I build up my courage to use it again.

I felt like my face was being torture by it. I used it twice it is setting in it's case at the moment has been there a few weeks until I build up my courage to use it again.

What other SE's worked for you?
Contrary to the 1912's or later GEMs, it does not give you a hint for the angle and there is a fair amount of blade exposure and blafe gap, though the safety comb is large eniugh. It requires good technique but once you get the angle right, the shave is very close and if yiu don't dig in, rather smooth. I use audio feedback to find the proper angle.

What other SE's worked for you?
Contrary to the 1912's or later GEMs, it does not give you a hint for the angle and there is a fair amount of blade exposure and blade gap, though the safety comb is large enough. It requires good technique but once you get the angle right, the shave is very close and if you don't dig in, rather smooth. I use audio feedback to find the proper angle.

Good post....the 1924 is my favorite razor, best shaves of the many different razors I've tried...the audio feedback is the key!

I've been using the 1924 pretty regularly lately. After picking up a bunch of SE razors (including the Streamline, Damaskeene, Micromatic, 1912 Jr.), the 1924 is my favorite. It's smooth and delivers an excellent shave.

It kind of has the fatal flaw for any DE or SE with me of giving poor feedback on where the blade is in relation to your face at any given moment. I really don't think it is all that aggressive, it is just really intolerant of being used at an improper angle.

Yes, that is about the price they go. The traditional shave community has not seized upon SE like it has DE, so there are bargains to be found. Mine, though likely being around 80 years old, had practically no plate loss on the head. Any rust or corrosion was limited to "tea stains" that easily washed off with successive treatments of WD40 and Windex. When it was shave-ready, it may have looked timelessly similar to when the original owner used it.

I have the shovel head and the fliptop 1924, they are both good shavers with the 1924 being a tad bit more aggressive. I do like the Micromatics better cause of the smaller form factor and heftiness

Top Bottom