What's new

I will now END the face-lather/bowl-lather argument ...Please see post #24

You guys need to step up to the professional way to make lather...

proxy.php

ahah

I think I'll need one of those lather maker until my technique will not improve. =D

I like taking the small amount of extra time to use a bowl. No real reason, just part of the ritual. I have gotten a great result using a shave stick as well. Mainly use it while traveling though.

For me it depends on the product: bowl (or scuttle) for creams, face for sticks and mug loaded soaps, and, for a few select soaps, lather right in the mug. I figure it out as i go... but I really like a good face lather of Arko Stick.

I can’t find a bowl large enough to fit my badger. I’ve found using a live badger gives some excellent lather.

First of all, thanks Larry for resurrecting this old thread. I got a good chuckle.

Secondly, on the subject of live badgers, I've found that if you're lucky you can find a badger that already has lather on his face. This will save you alot of time as you won't have to whip him in a bowl and he can be directly shaved.

Thirdly, use lots of soap, rinse well, and thoroughly dry him when you're done. We don't need no stinking badgers.

First of all, thanks Larry for resurrecting this old thread. I got a good chuckle.

Secondly, on the subject of live badgers, I've found that if you're lucky you can find a badger that already has lather on his face. This will save you alot of time as you won't have to whip him in a bowl and he can be directly shaved.

Thirdly, use lots of soap, rinse well, and thoroughly dry him when you're done. We don't need no stinking badgers.

I did not see that coming!!! :lol:

marty

Back on subject, I've found that mixing up lather in a bowl, then thickening the lather up on the face works well. Helpful if you are starting with a wet mix that would be a mess on the face. For some reason the bowl doesn't give as good feedback on hydration as the face does.

Alternately, I've face lathered then put the excess in the scuttle to keep warm for future passes, or bowl lathered then worked on the hand, etc.

I like the scuttle because it's warmer than just face lathering with cold lather, and I like to have 3+ passes with lots of lather.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I face lathered with a mug and brush for over 20 years before I knew what it was called. Then I joined B&B and became enlightened. Bowl lathering is fun because I can see what lather I'm getting before I put it on. Now I do both, either way works.

It all depends on the equipment. I like to face lather using hard soaps with a boar brush. When I choose a badger I use creams and bowl lather. For me, the jury's still out with horse hair since I don't own one. And with synthetics I only have one and I'm still experimenting.

I like the bowl because I really enjoy the process, and watching the lather form. I also find I can get more consistent results in a bowl than going directly to my face. For some reason it is easy for me to get too much water and a thin lather if I face lather. I think because when I face lather the lather goes on dryer, and I wet my brush and take it to my face to get that ratio where I want it, and I'm always pushing for a bit more than I need. In the bowl I start out wet and whip the lather until all the bubbles are gone and the lather develops a nice sheen. The bowl just works better for me.
I'm quite certain I could dial it in face lathering if I took a week or so to concentrate on it, but the bowl works great for me, and I'm not in the habit of fixing what ain't broke.

+1 to every post on this thread

Also for content sake I do both bowl and face lathering just depending on the cream/soap, and my mood.

I made the best lather ever in my washing machine. Dumped three sticks of Arko into the drum along with two brushes and turned the hot wash cycle on. (Be sure you stop it before the rinse cycle or you'll have soupy, runny lather...learn from my fail.) In less than 10 minutes, you'll have 6 months worth of lather, easily and without any work. It's just a matter of rooting around in the drum until the brushes are found. If you can't be bothered to do that, just dunk your face in the drum and carry on.

However, having to explain to the wife why our clothes now smell like (in her words) an "old Turkish man" was a bit of a low point.

Face lathering for me, I want the lather keeping my beard soft as soon as possible after my shower. I don't like lathering in a bowl while my beard dries. A nice bowl or scuttle would be great to hold the excess lather and brush during my shave.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I didn't realize there was an argument, face lathering has always been superior to bowl lathering. :tongue_sm

I use my face for a bowl when lathering soaps - but it's always embarrassed me so I do it in the bathroom with the door closed.

With cream I use a beautiful scuttle and enjoy warm lather for all three passes.

I get the same shave with both, but the warm lather wins if it's a contest.

I made the best lather ever in my washing machine. Dumped three sticks of Arko into the drum along with two brushes and turned the hot wash cycle on. (Be sure you stop it before the rinse cycle or you'll have soupy, runny lather...learn from my fail.) In less than 10 minutes, you'll have 6 months worth of lather, easily and without any work. It's just a matter of rooting around in the drum until the brushes are found. If you can't be bothered to do that, just dunk your face in the drum and carry on.

However, having to explain to the wife why our clothes now smell like (in her words) an "old Turkish man" was a bit of a low point.

I was in stitches reading this, so I decided to read it aloud to my wife. She didn't laugh a bit until "old Turkish man". What?? Who is this woman?

For the record, she doesn't like Arko...

I thought the answer to all my questions was going to be in post#24. There's no answer there. Now i only have more questions.

Top Bottom