What's new

What finish?

Maybe I'm the only one, but I keep seeing these gold safety razors and they just look like eye sores to me. Anyhow I thought I'd get a debate/poll on who prefers which finish on razors? Maybe I'm just not a fan of gold anything.

So Gold or Silver and why?(Or other if there is one)

Silver hands down. Gold is harder to care for and clean with out taking the finish off. Especially on older Gillettes. Plus with the exception of my New, all of my other gear is in a silver finish. I am just not a gold guy.

I only have silver razors at the moment, with the exception of my I2 Injector which only the head is gold. I've been thinking about the Merkur Slant 37G lately though. I always wanted atleast one gold razor. Maybe I'll just get one that I currently own replated.

..but to answer your question, I'd say gold just looks better to me. :001_smile

So Gold or Silver and why?(Or other if there is one)

I don't like gold jewellery = I don't like gold razors. Simple as that. :001_smile

Not that I'm too fond of silver on razors either. Nickel can take ultrasonic baths with no problems but silver plating can take damage relatively easy.

Whatever shaves well. I'm not a collector, never will be. Function over form I say!

see I thought that until I started bidding on a gold gillette the other day and said dang that's ugly I can't use that

I haven't heard much about muhle. Seems if its not a gillette its a merkur. Any tips on other brands?

I would prefer Rhodium finish. At the moment I only have nickel and 1 gold. The gold was my great grandfather's fat handle tech Buddydog replated for me. I wanted it original color, it is more difficult to keep looking nice though.

I only wear silver color jewelry too.

I'm now set on getting a Muhle r106. That's a beautiful razor.

+1 I received my Muhle R106 last week. The only modern DE in my arsenal and a real looker!:thumbup:

But to the question, unless the finish is pristine, gold looks a bit tatty or even (dare I say it) a little Jersey Shore...

I was just thinking about this the other day...for an older 3-piece (Old, New, Fat-handle Tech), gold is great. These razors have an "antique" aura about them that can pull it off. But I too think the finish, at least on the head, needs to be perfect for it not to look crappy (love the "Jersey Shore" line).

For TTOs, gold just looks a bit too Rap Star/Russian Mobster/Saudi Royalty for my taste...their appeal is a clean cool industrial one that seems to call for nickel/rhodium.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I like the vintage razors as they were put out.

I like the Gold Milord, I like the Nickel Superspeed, I like the Silver Old Types.

An Aristocrat in anything but Gold isn't an Aristocrat.

I don't like the gold lacquered vintage Gillettes; the finish does not seem to hold up well. Although I did manage to find a couple vintage Gillettes with a nearly flawless finish.

Last edited:
I have a few gold examples in my collection - Aristocrat, Old, Bostonian - but prefer vintage silver. There is something about the mirror-like sheen of a silver head that is almost 100 years old that really appeals to me. I have passed over several quality specimens in antique stores and the 'bay because I'm not a big fan of gold finishes.

I would never buy a new production razor in gold. The Jersey Shore/Saudi Royalty references hit the nail on the head. Nickel, chrome or brushed stainless are the only way to go for me.

I see what you mean by "Jersey Shore". Some of the "gold" Gillettes seem tacky.

But I'm not so sure a gold plated Merkur razor is necessarily bad though.

Ah well - to each his own.

There is a functional reason for the 37g vs 37c. The gold slant bars make it a little easier to see whether the blade is aligned correctly or not.

Of course you could also get a 37c and find blades with a contrasting color....

I like the vintage razors as they were put out.

I like the Gold Milord, I like the Nickel Superspeed, I like the Silver Old Types.

An Aristocrat in anything but Gold isn't an Aristocrat.

+1

I started out thinking nothing but nickel for me and nickel is great, but then I had to go and find a Milord and then an Aristocrat and a Diplomat.

Now if I see one that shows some wear my first thought is not the "look" but rather "someone thought it was good enough to shave with, I want to try it now." Or if it has an unmarred finish, "it looks to me like an early morning sunrise."

I have no use for jewelry, Gold or Silver, but many of my days now start with
the hint of and "early morning sunrise.

Top Bottom