What's new

One Year In And Thinking Maybe DE Shaving Isn't For Me After All...

because this last week I've been using my GEM G-Bar and experiencing my first SE shaves. Man, that thing shaves easy close and smooth!

*looks at all of my DEs...*

Nah, they're just too pretty not to use :biggrin1: plus I've a plethora of DE blades!
But I can seriously see the SE coming into very regular rotation. It's almost as close as a straight but much easier to use, in fact, easier and closer that the DE. I thought it'd be like using half of a DE blade and worried it would go dull on me before I'd done a full shave but it stayed sharp as a tack to the end (a very sharp tack I might add). Now I wonder if I'd get two full shaves from a SE blade... hmmmm...

I also love the shape of the GEM and find it much easier to do under my arms with it. Also the lather doesn't clog the razor as much.

I feel like I'm cheating on my beloved DEs by liking this so much! :bored:

Wet shaving is all about finding the products/techniques that work best for you. Besides you cant cheat on something you own :tongue_sm I like my SE's too, but I'm not ready to part with my DE's.

Last edited:
A lot of us genuinely believe that single edge razors, and I include injectors in that category, give a better shave than double edge razors. But, like you Barber-Eile, I've got a few dozen double edge razors and a small arsenal of blades so they do get used. Occasionally.

A lot of us genuinely believe that single edge razors, and I include injectors in that category, give a better shave than double edge razors. But, like you Barber-Eile, I've got a few dozen double edge razors and a small arsenal of blades so they do get used. Occasionally.

Yeah I am definately an SE convert too. Same problem as others though - a bunch of DEs and blades sitting around.

Today I thought, what the heck, I'll haul out a Fatboy. Sheesh - I never really did get the hang of that thing. Todays shave - one pass and back to an SE. Thank heavens I discovered SEs. If I had of been stuck with a one and only Fatboy razor, I probably would have just grown a beard by now.

Single Edgers Rock!

I went to a lot of trouble to smooth and burnish and replate my beloved Gillette NEWs and Old Types and now I rarely use them. I discovered SEs, which rapidly led to the decision to start with a straight and now I only use SEs for touch ups during my straight learning period. And the SEs I have are so well made even the gold ones don't need replating. Whatever will I do with those lovely DEs?

I've got some very interesting DEs which I haven't shaved with yet, but will get to eventually, doggone it: 1910 ABC Pocket Edition, Gillette Sheraton, a Neillite. . . and I still use a couple of cheaper DEs for travel razors, on the theory that you can find the blades anywhere if you didn't bring enough.

My daily shaves, though, are mostly with injectors, with some SEs thrown in. Yes, they work better, for me, and there's no such thing as "too easy".

But I didn't win all of my DEs. My lovely Lady Gillette... I feel like I'm betraying her!

You are not betraying her, you are giving her a rest.
NOT forever, just for a shave or two.

Which SE Razor do you have?
Some are better than others.

JB

Welcome Dan to the land Of Gemocracy.... DE's in this house are only used by my Better Half... thats only when she hasn't hoodwinked me into a straight shave

I'm also a year in, but the shaving ADs have stopped. For the past several months I've settled into a routine and stuck with the same DE, blade and brush. The only thing I continue to rotate are the creams.

I must reply again to this thread..... Several months ago I forsake all my DE's in favor of SE's and straights, and have been loving it.

Yesterday I got a little feisty with a straight ,was not paying attention and ended up with nicks a horrendous razor burn....

This morning not feeling like aggravating anything, but needing a shave because of a meeting, I spied my wifes Lady Gillette hanging next to the G3.... I thought why not?... Three passes...no irritaion, BBS.....

Well needless to say I guess a Super Speed will have to work it's way into the rotation.

DE's rule over SE's....No Way... but great for a quick spin every now and then....

BTW thanks BBarton713 for the 3 Lady Gillettes.... they are fantastic shavers and they are SWMBO approved

Top Bottom