What's new

Smooth cooktop vs. coil cooktop range

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
All the sheep with the new-fangled technology. What's wrong with a charcoal stove anyway? Just a matter of technique, air-control angle and proper prep.. The results are far better than any modern multi-burner stove can give you and you don't pay for all the fancy marketing either..

/ducks and hides

Wisenheimer! Check out the Mess Hall and the BBQ threads . . . we mostly agree with you.

....What you want to investigate is an induction cooktop...

Not only is the efficiency roughly doubled, the thermal inertia is the same as a gas stove. That means, when you turn down the heat, the pan responds instantly, just like turning down a gas burner. This fine control makes cooking much more precise.
The surface of an induction stove where a pan is sitting will only get as hot as the pan due to simple contact with the pan. But, it doesn't get anywhere near the several hundred degree scorching temperature of a radiant type glass cooktop. Meaning cleanup is much, much easier. All I use is glass cleaner on mine. If I'm going to be frying anything, I often put a sheet of parchment paper or newsprint paper on the stove to absorb spatters. The stove cooks perfectly well through paper.
I don't have an induction cooktop, but these are its best selling points to me. I never even thought about the later point; how you can do something like that to get easier cleanup which highlights its safety (ignition resistance of nearby items) as compared to other cooktops.

I am now contemplating the replacement of my decades-old electric range with a brand new one. With half the burners dead, it seems the time has come.

oldblue

If you don't want a new one, or they just don't float your boat or seem to pricey, You can replace any burner on your electric range top with a pair of snipes, a screwdriver and a 10 dollar replacement element.

But there is nothing like a new tool/toy in the kitchen.

I very highly recommend finding a showroom that has induction cookers that work, and go get a demonstration. They are impressive.

I just wanted to say thank you. I've been on the fence with replacing one of the 2 electric tops in the house and gas is not an option. I never knew about this and thought all flat tops were created equal.

Top Bottom