What's new

Info on these razors

I went to an enormous flea market today! This one happens 3 times a year and today was my first time going. I was looking for DE razors, and I did find 1 nice one, but I found a number of straight razors.

I passed up most of them, but I saw a few that looked really nice and the price was decent. I just don't know anything about what I bought. I don't use a straight razor and I will end up selling these on eBay most likely. I would just like to know a bit about these and straight razors in general so that I will know what I'm looking at if I see them at flea markets in the future.

View attachment 127140
First razor on the left is The "Artist" Levering Razor--Hamburg Ground Germany

Razor on the right has yellow scales with blue inlay design. W.H. Morley & Sons
Germany. On the blade it says Hamburg Ground. It has a fairly short blade overall.

View attachment 127141
Razor on the left is a Frederick's Celebrated Razor--Sheffield

Razor on the right is a No. K11 Keen Kutter

View attachment 127144
Last razor is the nicest one of the lot. This one is a 740 Keen Kutter with green/brown translucent scales and mother of pearl over both sides of the handle. (Not sure of the proper term for this.)

So, what do I have here?
I know that some people don't like this question, but approximately what are these worth? (If I want to sell them on eBay.)
Thanks!

Just my opinion...the first 2 aren't much as they both have excessive hone wear, the second has been shortened...good practice razors for honing, limited value on the bay (10-15 bucks) The second two look much closer to something to shave with, fairly common but decent quality blades with much less wear and obvious defects, could fetch 20-30USD I would say (always a possibility that someone will really want and overpay) The last one looks like a beauty, can't see enough from single pic but looks to be in nice shape. That is generally refered to as "covered tang" and is very nice in MOP. If there are no cracks in that (pretty common), and not a lot of rust or pitting I can't see, I would think that razor would fetch 50+ on the bay...I sold one similar awhile back for 85USD but mine was shave ready and refurbished (cleaned, polished, pins adjusted, etc). Very nice pieces (save for the first two)...hope this helps!

For anyone who is better with scale materials...does that look like olivewood on the last razor? I don't recall seeing celluloid scales with that look. Poster, do the scales appear to be a type of wood to you?

It doesn't look like wood or feel like wood, but there are rings in the scales that look like what you would see on some wood. Still, it looks like some other material.

Thats what I was seeing...I dont recall seeing horn or bone with those type of markings either...very nice looking none the less! Good luck with them!

Top Bottom