What's new

what shaving means to you....

Hi everyone, i just wanted to get your thought/impressions of what shaving means to you....For a long time it seamed like a crappy, annoying task to do...but once i got into the DE shaving i started to appreciate it and has grown since then...just this week i switched back to "old school" brut cologne and after shave (even though i'm 34 years old! haha). the more i get into it and take my time, it kinda makes me wanna go back in time to when men took the time to clean themselves up either at home or at the local barber shop. Men would look good, presentable and of course..smelt good! Am i the only one that feels this...or am i just talking outta my ***? hahahah
fabs

You're not the only one...This is one of the Zen rituals that I enjoy. I can safely call it my "Me O' Clock". I love this 1/2 hour ritual. It is fun and truly refreshing.

As a college student I see some people who haven't showered, have greasy skin wearing pjs to class, and have a weeks worth the stubble everyday....

...and that was just women.

For me, shaving is essentially in the same category as brushing my teeth and showering.

Excellent hygiene is an essential part of having self respect for me and the people around me.

Last edited:
For health reasons, I've had to give up a few things I really enjoyed - I no longer have the manual dexterity in my left hand to play guitar, or to use a camera without a tripod, and can only walk a maximum of two miles.

DE shaving has meant learning a new skill - one that most people don't even attempt, let alone master - and as it only requires using my right hand, means it's not something I'm going to have to give up any time soon.

Perhaps most importantly, DE shaving gives me 15 to 20 minutes, when my only concern is the razor's edge, driving everything else from my mind.

For me it's a chance to not think about anything else and just focus on the shave. Plus I like smelling good.

• Its something manly.
  • I always think about my Dad and his Gillette adjustable, my grandpas and their straights-which scared me when I was a kid!--- they used every day.
  • A step closer in the direction of when all the men wore a shirt and tie to a baseball game.

I have been wet shaving for many year and never considered it a chore. I enjoy the process of prep, selecting a soap/cream, brush and razor (usually done the previous evening) and the post shave process. I enjoy looking and feeling well groomed and think that it is a great way to start the day.

Enjoy your shaves,

Doug

I have recently started to shave with a DE, and am really enjoying the ritual.

I start the night before by selecting a soap, and aftershave. Then in the morning a nice relaxing shower, followed by my shave. It's time I spend on myself, looking and smelling my best. I do it for myself, and I don't think any of us spend enough time pampering ourselves.

Hi everyone, i just wanted to get your thought/impressions of what shaving means to you....For a long time it seamed like a crappy, annoying task to do...but once i got into the DE shaving i started to appreciate it and has grown since then...just this week i switched back to "old school" brut cologne and after shave (even though i'm 34 years old! haha). the more i get into it and take my time, it kinda makes me wanna go back in time to when men took the time to clean themselves up either at home or at the local barber shop. Men would look good, presentable and of course..smelt good! Am i the only one that feels this...or am i just talking outta my ***? hahahah
fabs

I can relate. I never used my left hand for shaving until i picked up straight razors. It is difficult to retrain your habitual patterns of 25+ years. I also have the feeling of wishing I could travel back in time to a simpler place when things just didn't seem as complicated as they are now.

As a college student I see some people who haven't showered, have greasy skin wearing pjs to class, and have a weeks worth the stubble everyday....

...and that was just women.

For me, shaving is essentially in the same category as brushing my teeth and showering.

Excellent hygiene is an essential part of having self respect for me and the people around me.

+1 on this.

I have the same thoughts. For me shaving is a daily ritual so why not make the most of it?

I like to be clean, clean shaven and well presented when I leave the house as it makes an impression on those around me. Not only that but when I am presenting myself like that it makes me feel good about myself. Only a few days ago I was feeling under the weather with a bug that was going round. I made the effort to have a good wash and brushup along with a shave and it made the world of difference to my demeanour.

Good cleanliness shows a lot about the person.

I also like the 30-minutes or so "Me Time" where I can lock myself in the bathroom and wash, shave, do my hair and put some smellum on. My wife doesn't seem the grasp this?

and that was just women
...hahah that's funny!!!

My wife doesn't seem the grasp this?
...ya i can see that...women sometimes don't get why we do certain things..this being one of them and probably never will...but they can spend hours in front of a mirror and still look the same...that...I will never get! hahah
fabs

Since I've started using safety razor, brush and lather created from cream or soap, I started enjoying shaving so much I shave everyday, even during vacation or day off. I like the feeling of being shaved, and I see lots of men who don't shave everyday. Looks like not shaving is the trend nowadays, but I refuse to be on that train.

My morning routine was just that, a routine. something I perceived as an item that had to be done and how fast I could get these items done and out of the house.
I have had a revelation of sorts recently. I now do not think of my morning routines as such. I relish the time that I spend doing something for myself, since there is 10 hours that I do something for others on a daily basis.

Top Bottom