What's new

New Brush Care

Hey guys, I just have a quick question for ya. When you get a new badger brush, should you do anything to it prior to using it? I have read somewhere that they wash it with shampoo before using to get out the animal smell but I'm not sure about this as I'm a complete noobie to this whole wet shaving. Any help will be greatly appreciated.:thumbup1:

Hey guys, I just have a quick question for ya. When you get a new badger brush, should you do anything to it prior to using it? I have read somewhere that they wash it with shampoo before using to get out the animal smell but I'm not sure about this as I'm a complete noobie to this whole wet shaving. Any help will be greatly appreciated.:thumbup1:

I just give a new brush a shampoo or two and do a bowl or two with lather. Then you should be good to go.

My first brush I just used it untill the smell went away. My boar brush on the other hand almst made me sick. That I soaked in dawn dishsoap, lathered up some MaMa bears soap, and was good to go!

I just got my second brush ever yesterday. The first was a synthetic from Sally's and this one was a Frank's Shaving brush off of eBay. It was the "finest" one. It had a little smell but not too bad. Didn't think I'd see a big difference between fake and badger, but I was pleasantly wrong. I think I'll just keep using it til the weird smell goes away.

i usually lather up a bit of dawn dish soap to remove any superficial bacteria and then use a nice scented cream or soap to start the de-stenchification process.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if there is any weird smell once my brush arrives. I would imagine that Simpsons (aka Vulfix) would be curing these hairs well before they ship them. I was just wondering if anyone here has a routine for new brushes as I am brand new to this type of shaving altogether.

When I get a new brush I lather it wish dish soap, then shampoo, then I lather once or twice with a shaving soap and leave it in overnight. The next day most of the scent is gone.

My first brush I just used it untill the smell went away. My boar brush on the other hand almst made me sick. That I soaked in dawn dishsoap, lathered up some MaMa bears soap, and was good to go!

+1

The one and only boar I had was really funky, and I washed it daily for about a week before putting it into service.

The badger knots from TGN were good to go right away but I practiced lathered them twice before use.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if there is any weird smell once my brush arrives. I would imagine that Simpsons (aka Vulfix) would be curing these hairs well before they ship them. I was just wondering if anyone here has a routine for new brushes as I am brand new to this type of shaving altogether.

The best routine to get in with your new brush, is to shake it, WELL, after using. I just stick my arm in the shower :w00t: The I rub it on a dry section of towel (paint brush strokes) but this is optional. There's a great debate over whether it should be stored tips up or down. I have a stand, and leave it tips down till dry, but I don't think it makes much difference. I clean my brush every two weeks or so:http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm

Top Bottom